View Single Post
Old 2011-01-05, 02:13 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Hey Kspeed guys! (sperry's motor current build thread)

...instead of trying to maintain a massive chain of PM quotes between Matt, Kevin, and Cory, I'm just gonna start this thread.

Any ETA on the block and oil-pan powdercoating? By Friday?

Kevin, can you clue me in on what you've got available with that '06 ECU/harness, etc? I'm not 100% sure I know what I need for the conversion...

- 32bit ECU
- Engine wiring harness (will work with my top feed injectors, no?)
- Gas pedal + wiring
- DBW throttle body
- AVCS and DBW wiring added to bulkhead harness? More?

Also, I think I'll need a quote on some additional gear:

- Grimmspeed ported/polished/coated OEM headers (I've already got the crosspipe & uppipe)
- Grimmspeed AOS
- Grimmspeed turbo heat shield
- Deatchwerks 850cc top feed injectors
- OEM Headgaskets
- open-fail thermostat

PM me a quote if you don't mind, or let me know if I should just source any of that stuff myself.

Finally, I'm still trying to decide on converting back to a TMIC or not. Certainly, I've got a great setup now with my Perrin FMIC (aside from the heat soak on long straights) and would rather keep it instead of spending money on new parts. Matt, I was thinking about what you were saying regarding the empty hood scoop preventing the FMIC/radiator from working well... wouldn't that also be true with a TMIC? Would a scoop block off plate and some potential revisioning to my under-engine aero potentially work better than a good TMIC for fighting oil/water temp issues? I'm thinking about trying that first, then converting back to a TMIC if it doesn't help.

Another idea I had is that I'm missing the forward floor pieces of my fender liners... I wonder if air is actually piling in behind the radiator from the sides via the open fenders, thus greatly reducing the flow through the FMIC/radiator/oil-cooler even with the OEM splash guard installed. A very simple flat/wide splitter under there with a nice trailing downward lip on the back (replacing the stock splash guard) might solve all my cooling issues at the track. Comments?