Old 2004-07-20, 02:24 PM   #1
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.
Default Light mods on MY98 Impreza Wagon

*Update*
For those who come to this thread looking for pre-WRX Impreza mods/improvements, the solutions I'm adopting are shown in BOLD for easy reference. I hope to update the thread with pics, links, etc to make your task and visualization a bit easier...
Feel free to peruse the original post and replys for additional information.
ScottyS

Current mods and upgrades 08-16-05
Cost to date: $1234

1) Wheels: MY00/01 RS 6-spoke 16x7 +53mm (thanks Clive from San Jose!)
2) Tires: Bridgestone 16" take-offs (thanks Clive!)
3) WRX Wagon rear sway bar (thanks Sherman from Oakland!)
4) OEM Factory Cruise Control from subaruparts.com
5) Hella FF50 driving lamps from eBay
6) OEM Factory Performance Gauge Pack (Vac, Volt, Oil Temp) from allsubaru.com
7) '03 WRX Front Seats (thanks Tyson!)
Optima red top battery from Pep Boys
9) Tinted windows 35% front 25% rear from Thomas Kang, Reno
10) OEM Factory Keyless Entry + Security Upgrade (thanks James from I-Club!)
11) Redline Lightweight Shockproof transmission oil
12) 2003 WRX front brakes --- rotors, calipers, brackets, pads, fluid (thanks Kevin!)
13) Intake "Snorkus" delete
14) WRX axle-back muffler (thanks Khail!)

/start original post

First, a little introduction should be entirely appropriate, given the highly local and personal nature of this organization.........

Coincidently, I was told about this forum just as I have acquired another Subaru. I'm glad there is a local Subaru club with knowledgeable people! For starters, I'm just an everyday driver that likes Subys and prefers to maintain his own ride. One, I don't really trust most mechanics to do a careful and thorough job (I've spent enough time correcting little, yet critical mistakes); and two, I like to save money. I don't have the ability to drop money into a fast car, as my other hobbies (mountain climbing, shooting, computers) suck up too much already! Thus, I will not be able to "get into" the primary high-performance hardware mission of this club (I like the idea of high-perfomance driving education, though). As it stands, I've pretty much resigned my role in the Suby world to one of grocery-getting, although I have taken my old Legacy Wagon places that 4x4's fear to tread...

That should bring things up to the present, and give some rhyme to the reasoning. Now for the questions, right?

I just bought a 1998 Impreza Wagon from the original owner, and it has enough miles left in it that doing some minor modifications would be beneficial in the long run. So, I'm looking for suggestions/pointers/direction in this area. Also, I think that this may be more of a common topic than one would think, so I'll try to keep things organized for future searchers....

I've spent some time perusing at the NASIOC forums, but things seem to be very fragmented and specialized over there. I'll try to keep this simple, so as to waste as little of the replyers' time as possible (the more I write, the shorter the answers have to be, right ;-).

1) The car: "Plain Jane" 1998 Impreza L Wagon 2.2l 5spd bone stock
2) The objectives: perform various light upgrades for performance, cosmetics, and versatility. Car uses would range from cornering in the Spagetti Bowl to dirt roads in Nevada's outback.
3) Use mostly high-end Subaru take-off equipment as all the specialized race stuff is not needed, and take-offs would likely be less expensive
4) If an certain upgrade has a high-maintenance nature or a short life, or possibly negatively affects to related systems in the car, I'm probably not interested. Remember, we're not trying to wring out every last bit of HP, just take a stock Impreza and make it a little nicer.
5) Assume that I know nothing of available options and inter/intra-model compatibility
6) If we absolutely need to work on a budget, let's pick a nice round number like $1000 for upgrading funds

Let's hear the suggestions, according to catagory:

(these are not listed by priority or anything)

A. Wheels & Tires --- Currently 15" steel, would like alloy. Ride height must be maintained or increased slightly for more clearance. Stay with 15" and go same tires? Can taller tires be used? Would 16"s rub anything? What about this 55 offset thing?
Solutions: 15" or 16" take-offs from Outbacks, RS's, or WRX's, will fit, however Outback tires will be too tall for stock suspension.

Done: Found a set of stock 2001 RS takeoff 16" wheels with tires

B. Suspension --- Keep stock or wait for replacement time? Ride height must be same or higher, with ride quality not getting too much stiffer
Solutions:
1) Find stock WRX rear sway bar 18mm or 20mm ~free-$50
2) Steering rack bushings from Whiteline ~$30
3) Possibly Legacy OB stock takeoff struts --- not fully researched

Done: Found 17mm WRX wagon rear swaybar

C. Interior --- currently beige
1. How comfortable are WRX seats? They just drop in, right?
2. I don't know if a "short-throw" shifter is a must have
3. Already have a CD player
4. Extra gauges --- this would be nice (oil temp, trans temp etc), but I don't want to use the drain plugs as clearance is enough of a problem already!
5. Anything else? Flashy is not necassary as I'm alreay married ;-)
Solutions:
1) WRX seats don't match colors exactly, but do drop in, RS seats might be better than stock as well --- '04 WRX seats (black/black) match interior, but '02-'03 WRX seats are much more comfortable for thin folks!
2) Factory extra gauges dash mount for Foresters fits MY98

Done: Found 2003 WRX front seats, found a sale on factory performance gauge pack, found OEM security system/remote locks from a 2000 RS --- plugs right in

D. Exterior --- that forest green color
1. Has a luggage rack
2. There are holes in the bumper for fog lights, but I guess they came on sportier models
3. A sporty hood might be cool, but paint matching would be hard, I'll bet --- no idea as to model compatibility
4. "Rally" lights on the front? Has this been done?
5. ???
Solutions:
1) Larger, common factory fog lights would need RS bumper
2) A vented hood from an RS or OBS would work --- OBS paint: Acadia Green
3) Custom light mount on bumper or brush guard could be fabricated, use Hella 500's ~$70 + mounting

Done: Small profile 55w lights from Hella fit the stock bumper near the license plate. Use a reinforcement bar along the underside of the plastic to prevent long-term damage.

E. Engine --- 2.2l
1. I have a feeling that all these "chips" and "cold air" things are minimal increases that might mess with the computer control of the engine over the long term. Correct me if I'm wrong.
2. Sure, a supercharger or low-boost turbo for high-altitude would be great, but I have a feeling that they would cost almost as much as the car!
3. Anything obvious?
Solutions: Engine takes low priority, not many improvements to 2.2, maybe headers, cat-back exhaust

Done: "Snorkus" removed from fender, kept stock airbox; found a stock WRX muffler that had already been modified to fit (flange rotation, adjust hole spacing)

F. Drivetrain --- I don't know.....LSD???
Solutions: Light fly-wheel, Exedy clutch --- lower priority, upgrade if repair needed

G. Brakes --- the rear are drums, for heaven's sake. Can they be swapped for disks? Off of what models? Front upgrades? No ABS, I believe.
Solutions:
1) RS/Legacy rear disk conversion for 15" wheels (needs knuckle assembly)
2) WRX disks in front and rear for 16" wheels
3) Upgrade fluid, SS lines

Done: 2003 WRX front brakes

H. If I missed anything.

Replies: Thank you in advance. Say as much or as little as you want/have time for. Consider complexity of upgrade, local parts availability (or light weight for shipping!), and swaps from other Subaru models.

I have basic tools, but alas no shop. I've gone as far as changing the radiator, water pump, timing belt, and front mainseal of a 2.2l before, in addition to normal maintenance, but that's about it.

[/b]

/end original post
Attached Images

Last edited by ScottyS; 2006-09-09 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Yet another upgrade!
ScottyS is offline   Reply With Quote