Old 2011-12-30, 09:47 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default My new year's resolution: Sell the SVX

SOLD!

Well, even though it's literally the car I've enjoyed owning the most out of all the cars I've had, it's time to part ways with my SVX. It's just not practical enough for daily driver duty, not comfortable enough for long trips (the wife has some issue with the deeply sloped windshield giving her motion sickness, go figure), not fun enough for the race track (even though I did get those StopTechs working for a while, it's a pig when you push it), and not appreciating as a collector car (with my luck, SVXs will be worth $1M just 10 years from now)... so it just sits in my garage getting old. I love it, but better for someone else to love it by driving it every day than for me to selfishly let it rot in storage because I never have time to drive it.

So...

For Sale:

1994 Subaru SVX LSi AWD
- Barcelona Red, Tan leather interior
- approx 237,000 miles
- OEM wheels w/ 225-55-16 Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires (very little tread left)

For those that don't know what the SVX is, it was Subaru's halo car from the early/mid '90s. Designed as a true GT car, it was penned by Giorgio Giugiaro (famous for creating the DeLorean, Lotus Esprit, Scirocco, among others). The car was well ahead of its time, but was ridiculously expensive for 1992 (original MSRP was over $30k in 1992 dollars!). The car sold poorly due to the recession of the time and Subaru's lack of a reputation for selling performance cars. Only about 14,000 cars were built, making to pretty rare. The car features a fantastic non-turbo watercooled 3.3L flat-six (similar to newer Porsche 911/Boxsters) making 230hp/228ftlbs, coupled to Subaru's 4-speed automatic transmission. Tons of SVX info here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru_svx.html

Standard Features:
- 4-speed Automatic gearbox, AWD 90/10 variable to 50/50 (it's an absolute monster in the snow!)
- 4 channel ABS
- Speed sensitive power steering
- Power windows/door locks
- Automatic climate control w/ outside temp
- Tilt steering wheel
- Cruise Control
- "Solar Reduction" window tint
- 6-speaker stereo
- Power/heated mirrors
- Leather seats
- 50/50 fold down rear seats

This particular car is in excellent mechanical shape, and good cosmetic shape. Car is a 2-owner car, I have a stack of service records going back to the original owner.

Motor was recently resealed and has new water pump, timing belt and plugs. Gearbox (a common problem in these cars) was replaced with a 4.444 ratio Legacy gearbox with a cooler and filter to prevent future issues. 4.444 differentials make the car quicker, but hurt the already mediocre fuel mileage (expect around 16 city/22 highway). Exhaust has been replaced with a custom unit that's throatier, but not much louder than stock, so none of the rattling heat-shield noise common to many SVXs. Brakes are new since I've had the car. Steering is great with a re-sealed power-steering pump and new ball joint and tie-rod ends. Suspension has high mileage, so it's not as crisp as it once was, but the car rides very comfortably, the only odd noise coming from the rear sway-bar bushings when it's cold out (easily fixed with some grease). Car passes smog easily (OBD-I sniffer test) with new cats in the custom exhaust.

Cosmetically, the car is pretty nice, but it has some sand damage on the front bumper and leading edge of the hood, plus a few door dings, and small paint chips in various locations. Interior is good with just some wear on the driver's seat and a tear on the rear seat near the deck lid. Interior fake wood trim was painted black. Car has a 2002 Subaru WRX Momo wheel currently (non-compatible airbag), but will be sold with the original steering wheel (and I will install the original wheel and hook up the airbag if the buyer wishes).

Items replaced/repaired since I bought it:
- New OEM window switches, both driver and passenger doors
- New (remanufactured) brake calipers, rotors and pads on all 4 corners
- New stainless steel brake lines on all 4 corners
- New OEM radiator
- New (remanufactured) alternator
- New (remanufactured) front axles
- New hood struts
- New OEM O2 sensors
- New OEM MAF sensor
- New TPS stepdown resistor
- New OEM windshield
- New trunk floor over the spare tire
- New battery
- Resealed motor (cam seals, crank seals, valve cover seals)
- New OEM water pump, OEM timing belt, OEM timing gear
- New OEM knock sensor
- New OEM ball joints
- New OEM tie-rod ends
- Resealed power steering pump
- Resealed & recharged A/C

Modifications:
- 4.444 '96 Legacy transmission (rebuilt with new transfer clutch & solenoids)
- 4.444 LSD rear-end
- Perma-Cool transmission cooler in the driver's side fender
- Remote transmission oil filter
- '97 OEM front grill, color matched
- SmallCar clear headlight/corner marker lenses w/ StonGard
- DDM 5000k HID headlamps (not at all blue)
- Hella SuperTone horns mounted in the grill
- Alpine stereo/iPod interface/XM radio/subwoofer/amp
- DEI keyless entry/remote starter/remote trunk pop
- Beltronics remote radar detector (laser detector/jammer in the grill, radar receiver behind the bumper, display mounted on the instrument cluster)
- Added starter solenoid relay
- Custom Magnaflow headers-back exhaust with Bullet muffler (includes 3 new cat converters)
- WRX sun visors (to replace the sagging stock ones)
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror with compass

Optional Stuff:
- 17x8"+55 BBS STi OEM wheels w/ Dunlop Wintersport 3D tires (90% tread left) +$600
- 17x9"+45 Enkei RPF1's w/ 245-45-17 Bridgestone RE010 tires (90% tread left) +$1000

KBB for the car is $4500 dealer / $3300 private party. Due to the rareness of the car, fantastic condition, the updated gearbox, the new exhaust, the stereo, etc. (I've spent over $12,000 restoring the car over the last 5 years), I am asking $5000 for the car. I also have some optional sets of wheels I will sell at an additional cost. Finally, I've got a bin full of SVX parts (mostly trim pieces, hood bra, old parts that have been replaced, etc) that will be included with the car.

I just took some quick pictures of the car in the garage tonight. I will get some better ones tomorrow if the weather isn't crappy.

Last edited by sperry; 2012-01-28 at 03:26 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote