Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Autocross Chat 2009 (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7424)

Dewey 2009-03-31 02:16 PM

I'll definitely be there... But, I dont know if I will be able to compete. How much does Saturday cost?

Tahoe C5 2009-03-31 02:55 PM

Maybe I'll sneak down with the Legacy and dominate DStock! I haven't showed of my GTL yet. I guess I'd better remove the studded snow tires.

van 2009-03-31 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewmudgeon (Post 131001)
How much does Saturday cost?

Ferrari Driver:" More than you can afford pal. "

Kevin M 2009-03-31 03:27 PM

The school costs the same as any other day- $25 for members, $35 for nonmembers.

Dewey 2009-03-31 11:25 PM

And, what time does it start? I checked the RenoSCCA website and discussion board, but maybe I'm missing something..

Kevin M 2009-04-01 01:37 AM

Be there for tech no later than 8.

WRX06TR 2009-04-01 04:03 PM

I think I will be there sunday...killing cones!

bigrobwoot 2009-04-01 08:27 PM

I went to the last event of the year last year, and had a blast, so I definitely plan on going this year a lot. I won't be able to make it this weekend tho, I'm going to HIN in San Mateo. I know I'll be running novice this year, but where would I be if I weren't? My mods are:

Injen CAI
Borla replica headers
Stromung catless headerback
Eibach Pro Kit springs
Cobb rear sway
Kartboy rear endlinks
Kartboy shifter bushings
ILP short shifter
Paranoid Fabrications grounding kit
18x7.5 wheels, planning on getting 225/40 Dunlop Direzza's
Fidanza 10 lb flywheel to go in next weekend
Delta 1000 grind cams installed this summer, hopefully
I'd also like a protune this summer, but we'll see how much money I make (and how responsible I am ;))

Dean 2009-04-01 08:31 PM

Street Modified. SM

Unless you have done something to the chassis/body that kicks you out of that.

van 2009-04-01 08:35 PM

like a crossmember
damn

bigrobwoot 2009-04-01 08:45 PM

Thanks. Isn't that what STis run? Haha. I guess I don't care that much, I'm not looking to compete with anyone but myself and my friends, just wanna have fun. In the words of Ricky Bobby, "I wanna go fast"

cody 2009-04-01 08:54 PM

Haha, yah it is. Matt and Dean took SM in their silver STi's last year.

bigrobwoot 2009-04-01 09:08 PM

Well at least I have a year to prep myself for a pounding..? Haha.

Kevin M 2009-04-01 09:49 PM

Actually, you won't be in SM until you do the cams. What you have puts you in DSP right now.

Dean 2009-04-01 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 131155)
Actually, you won't be in SM until you do the cams. What you have puts you in DSP right now.

Unless something has changed, the grounding kit is not SP legal.

Kevin M 2009-04-02 10:45 AM

Oops.

bigrobwoot 2009-04-02 06:24 PM

S'all good either way. I have a year to firgure it all out. Thanks guys

A1337STI 2009-04-02 08:19 PM

I scored some Hoosiers for uber uber cheap. course they were used for a full season already but what evers. :lol: 225/45/17 AS FTW? FTL ?

Dean you do have great instruction for a trade. and i would bet you could still cover a lunch / dinner :?:

and /or you might have some good ST legal tires that someone could run on? or are yours corded?

sounds lame mike, Just kick some ass at work and make them love you, then it will be no worries. :cool:

that's what i do. ;)

Maybe switch over to the RallyX circuit. there was just an Scca RalllyX this past weekend down in Vallejo. i drove the "Fire breathing 1800"! to a class win [provisional] sell your sti, or lag wagon and pick up a lil 2wd romper ? hell you can co-driver mine ... if you can fit inside

Dean if you want to trade some instruction on sunday for maybe bajio grill i'll let you co-drive in AS

MattR 2009-04-03 06:07 AM

I don't know how many times Dean has to post it, but he's not going to be at Autocross this weekend.

Dean 2009-04-03 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 131349)
I don't know how many times Dean has to post it, but he's not going to be at Autocross this weekend.

Thanks Matt.

I will be in San Diego teaching Street Survival for the SD BMW Club...
__________________________________________________ __________

I am considering a new idea for this season.... something I am calling COach-drive.

Normally I offer to ride, coach and drive during afternoon RNP sessions. This year I am considering doing that as my only participation. Every event I would COach-drive with a different driver/car.

This would work however the driver wanted, me driving first to warm tires and give them a feel for the course at speed, or them first so I could critique and then give an example. Further coaching could be in-car or post run depending on how the driver wanted and you would be welcome to ride on all of my runs.

It would also include a guided course walk and discussions on car prep, tire pressure, Pyrometer testing, etc...

I might even do this twice a day if there is interest.

I am not asking for anybody to pay for this, but it might give me an opportunity to participate despite my self imposed $0 race budget without having me feel obligated to pitch in on tires, gas... Still not sure I can justify the $25-35 entry fee+gas to/from though. Would you actually pay something for this?

This is just in the idea phase, so thoughts, feedback would be appreciated. Of course, it would be open to all drivers, not just Subaru drivers...

Of course, I would continue to help everyone out as much as I can, not just the person I am driving with, but they would be my focus. Time permitting, I would probably still give group course walks, etc...

What do you think?

Jcjentz 2009-04-03 07:42 AM

where is this autocross course people go to, is it fernely?

van 2009-04-03 07:48 AM

Stead Airport this weekend

cody 2009-04-03 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcjentz (Post 131354)
where is this autocross course people go to, is it fernely?

Lot of info at www.renoscca.org including a forum. :)

Dean, I learn a lot when you coach me, but I probably won't drive with you until I feel stumped or Nick starts putting the hurt on me. I know it's a great opertunity and I learned tons from you at the last PDX I went to at RFR and the few times you've ridden with me at Stead, but it's just unnerving having somebody ride with you...nothing about you in particular, just in general. I hear your voice in my head every run anyway. :lol: "Eyes, Eyes, Eyes!!!". :lol:

But I think that offering your coaching in exchange for codriving is a great idea. I definitely want you to drive my car at some point so I can see where I'm screwing up.

AtomicLabMonkey 2009-04-03 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 131351)
Would you actually pay something for this?

Nope.

:)

Dean 2009-04-03 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 131376)
Dean, I learn a lot when you coach me, but I probably won't drive with you until I feel stumped or Nick starts putting the hurt on me. I know it's a great opertunity and I learned tons from you at the last PDX I went to at RFR and the few times you've ridden with me at Stead, but it's just unnerving having somebody ride with you...nothing about you in particular, just in general. I hear your voice in my head every run anyway. :lol: "Eyes, Eyes, Eyes!!!". :lol:

But I think that offering your coaching in exchange for codriving is a great idea. I definitely want you to drive my car at some point so I can see where I'm screwing up.

As long as you only hear that when you are driving, I am OK with it; otherwise, I don't want to know about it. :)

I'd be happy to do whatever works for you. That includes riding without saying anything, just pointing where you should look, or observing from outside the car. Riding while I drive and narrate or don't is also a big benefit to many.

Driving the car and making suggestions on setup may help many as well.

I don't claim you will be faster while I am in the car or coaching. Especially in the short autocross runs, it can be distracting and times get worse trying different things, but often if I then get out and the driver works on the skills, then they begin to improve.