Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New to the forum and Reno... (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3136)

hardboiled 2005-05-07 11:11 PM

New to the forum and Reno...

Hi,

My name is Mark and I just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am moving to Reno from Southern California to attend UNR in fall. I will be moving to Reno in June, and I just wanted to ask some questions regarding tires, and the road conditions in Reno. I currently have the standard RE92s on my 2.5 RS, how do these tires perform in the rain and snow? Is Lithia the only Subaru dealer in the area?

Well, I really look forward to moving to Reno, and actually getting a chance to use the AWD on the Subaru. Plus, I plan to come to the meets on Thursday nights, to meet everyone. I’ll stop by once I get settled in Reno.

Thanks,

Mark

Duckie 2005-05-08 06:58 AM

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy yourself. These guys are a great group and are very friendly and helpful. What are you going to be studying at UNR?

Nick Koan 2005-05-08 07:31 AM

Welcome,

RE92s are okay on snow, I've gone though a winter on them. If you have a chance to get dedicated snow tires, I'd recommend it, but if you can't, then its really not a big worry. The RE9s will be fine.

Lithia is the only Subaru dealership in Reno, but there is Michael Hohl on the North Side of Carson City and quite a few in Sacramento if you are willing to take a drive.

JC 2005-05-08 07:33 AM

RE92s are OK. If they have decent tread, there is no need to waste money replacing them in my opinion. There is a Subaru dealer in Carson City but they suck. Welcome man, nice to see another RS.

tysonK 2005-05-08 09:22 AM

Looks like your are the #2 CGM 2.5rs behind bruspeed!

Like nKoan said as long as you don't expect tons of grip from the RE92’s you’ll be ok. I just went through the winter with them fine. Although if you are not used to the snow you might have a fun time in the beginning. On the other hand, sometimes we hardly get any snow on the valley floor, this past winter was the most snow on the floor since I moved here in 1998.

A few of us went to UNR on the board and some of us are going there right now, looks like you are going to fit in just fine.

BTW: Is your username in reference to the John Woo Film?

Welcome.

Libila 2005-05-08 10:00 AM

Welcome!

bruspeed 2005-05-08 11:34 AM

Welcome! as Tysonk said I'm the "other" cat with a cgm rs. Re92's will get you through the seasons without a whole lot of trouble, mine worked fine. Hope to see you at a meet!

hardboiled 2005-05-08 12:10 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys. I am glad to hear that the tires will be fine. You will probably see me around Reno, and UNR. I have a thule bike rack on the roof with California plates. Honk and wave if you see me.

Hey duckie, I'm a Psychology major, and I'm coming into UNR as a junior.

NevadaSTi 2005-05-08 02:32 PM

Sup Hardboiled,

Thanks for stopping by. The other Subaru dealership is in So. Lake Tahoe. I used to work there, and its where I got STi. I give them two thumbs UP.

Oh yeah, there main body man, I've known him since I was like 8 years old. I trust him over any body shop.

Brian

Nick Koan 2005-05-08 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaSTi
Sup Hardboiled,

Thanks for stopping by. The other Subaru dealership is in So. Lake Tahoe. I used to work there, and its where I got STi. I give them two thumbs UP.

Oh yeah, there main body man, I've known him since I was like 8 years old. I trust him over any body shop.

Brian

Woah, I lived right behind South Shore Motors last winter, on Clement Street.

left footed whooten 2005-05-08 05:05 PM

Word up there,
I drive an Impreza and go to UNR as well, complete with Cali plates. Live right behind the Fritz Bar across the street from the arts building. Good bar, good school, lots of girlies to play with. Look for my teal Impreza with WRX wheels and hopefully 110whp by the time fall semester starts.
Cheers

doubleurx 2005-05-08 06:01 PM

Welcome. You'll enjoy the changes in seasons we have.

JC 2005-05-08 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left footed whooten
Word up there,
I drive an Impreza and go to UNR as well, complete with Cali plates. Live right behind the Fritz Bar across the street from the arts building. Good bar, good school, lots of girlies to play with. Look for my teal Impreza with WRX wheels and hopefully 110whp by the time fall semester starts.
Cheers

110whp? Good luck, I only get 130 or so.

left footed whooten 2005-05-09 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
110whp? Good luck, I only get 130 or so.

What are you running? 2.5RS stock? I figured if my ej18 came with 110 crank, by the time I open up the intake, release some power with a pulley, and get my hands on a header and exhaust, Id get it to 110 hamsters to the wheels. unrealistic? hit me with some info. maybe this should be its own thread. good thing my car weighs nothing. :?:

bruspeed 2005-05-09 11:15 AM

Name: JC (JC)
Car: 2000 2.5RS
Mods: Cobb Tuning CAI, Mr. Josh LW Pulley, Exedy Clutch & Lightweight flywheel, MRT headers & cat, Greddy EVO catback
Wheel HP: 132.1 @ 5750 RPM
Wheel Torque: 134.6 @ 4000 RPM
Dyno: Mustang @ S-Squared Motorsports 07/17/04

just gotta look :D

here's the link: http://seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1304

those numbers may be old, but it'll give you a ballpark idea.

ScottyS 2005-05-09 12:11 PM

Nice, more old school.

I work at UNR in the Geography Dept --- look for either my green Impreza L wagon w/RS wheels or a stock 95 Legacy LSi in "mica ruby". I'll be watchin' out for ya.

left footed whooten 2005-05-09 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyS
Nice, more old school.

I work at UNR in the Geography Dept --- look for either my green Impreza L wagon w/RS wheels or a stock 95 Legacy LSi in "mica ruby". I'll be watchin' out for ya.

Yeah, I think Ive seen your car parked toward that frat house on evans right? Like the six-spokers, looked for as long as i could, but caved in and got wrx wheels. Mine is the same color I believe, but 2-door with cal plates. Old school rules :cool:

tysonK 2005-05-09 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left footed whooten
Yeah, I think Ive seen your car parked toward that frat house on evans right? Like the six-spokers, looked for as long as i could, but caved in and got wrx wheels. Mine is the same color I believe, but 2-door with cal plates. Old school rules :cool:

Be sure to check out his seats!

soggynoodles 2005-05-09 09:26 PM

Welcome to Seccs.

Enjoy your stay :D

Kevin M 2005-05-09 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Enjoy your stay :D

Dammit Ed, stop saying that... it makes it sound like you expect everyone to leave after their 'welcome' thread. :p

ScottyS 2005-05-10 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonK
Be sure to check out his seats!

Yeah, thanks to Tyson, they aren't stock either....:disco: