Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Swine Flu in Washoe (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7678)

Nick Koan 2009-04-29 10:10 AM

Swine Flu in Washoe

http://www.rgj.com/article/20090429/...m/breakingnews

First confirmed case in Nevada is a 2 year old in Washoe County.

Kid is doing fine, everyone please panic now.

:omg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASibLqwVbsk

sperry 2009-04-29 10:22 AM

*cough* *cough* *oink*

k-dogg39 2009-04-29 10:31 AM

I just saw this on the news. :eek:

cody 2009-04-29 10:35 AM

I had pork chops on Monday night and have been having ham on my bagel every morning. Delicious!

Nick Koan 2009-04-29 10:38 AM

I heard the best way to inoculate yourself is to get as many pig products into your diet as you can. Eventually, you will build up a resistance to swine related viruses.

cody 2009-04-29 10:41 AM

Sounds intoxicating. :drool:

Nick Koan 2009-04-29 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 133369)
Sounds intoxicating. :drool:

I'm going to go make a bacon, ham and pulled pork sandwich with baconaise for lunch.

And a side of ranch.

TrueNative 2009-04-29 10:48 AM

Bird flu.....Swine flu.....
I will hold off panic till the Donkey flu arrives.

100_Percent_Juice 2009-04-29 11:09 AM

I have had the swine flu for years. The Dr. told me that the only cure is diet and exercise. I am just happy that I am a survivor and still here to tell the tale.

k-dogg39 2009-04-29 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:lol:

TrueNative 2009-04-29 11:23 AM

^^ LOL
Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

cody 2009-04-29 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-dogg39 (Post 133375)

So timely!!! Love it! :lol:

WRX06TR 2009-04-29 12:30 PM

**eating ham sandwich as I type**

Nick Koan 2009-04-29 12:51 PM

:lol: :lol:

I can't stop laughing.

skimonkey30 2009-04-29 12:59 PM

SteveM 2009-04-29 02:10 PM

But seriously, has the swine flu proven to be more deadly than any other flu? This is somethin I haven't been able to get a handle on. Is I going to kill more peeople than a "regular " flu? Or are we just freaking out about it because the Media has tired of reporting on the recession?

Nick Koan 2009-04-29 02:15 PM

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

Actually, a lot of conspiracy theories are going around.

It was done by people that want to close the border with Mexico. It was done by Obama to push through more appointments in this time of 'crisis'. It was done by the Mexican government who just passed a bunch of controversial laws (plain-clothes policemen, unlimited cell phone surveillance, hot-pursuit agreement with the US for drug traffickers, legalizing personal amounts of narcotics). It was done by Al Queda as its easier to get into the Mexico than the US. It was done by Baxter Pharm, the makers of the most effective viruses. It was done by the New World Order as a beta-test of one of their bioweapons. etc...

van 2009-04-29 03:33 PM

http://www.alternet.org/healthwellne...edia%27s_hype/

sperry 2009-04-29 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM (Post 133393)

But seriously, has the swine flu proven to be more deadly than any other flu? This is somethin I haven't been able to get a handle on. Is I going to kill more peeople than a "regular " flu? Or are we just freaking out about it because the Media has tired of reporting on the recession?

I think the biggest difference is that the "normal" flu tends only to kill the very young, and the elderly. Whereas this particular strain is strong enough to kill healthy adults more easily than the everyday variations.

That said, IIRC something like 20,000 people die every year from plain old influenza... I think a lot of the "danger" from the swine flu is more hype than anything.

And that kid/pig picture is fucking comedy GOLD! :lol:

SteveM 2009-04-29 04:16 PM

Thanks. exactly the information I was looking for, I don't read Alternet enough and forget how good it is,

Quote:

Originally Posted by van (Post 133398)

Joeyy 2009-04-29 04:17 PM

Deleted.

knucklesplitter 2009-04-30 02:59 PM

What I know (or think I know) about Swine Flu :

Swine Flu is more dangerous than regular flu because unlike the normal yearly flu, humans have no built-up immunity to Swine Flu at all. It started in pigs, mutated, then jumped to humans, and now it has mutated some more and it jumps from humans to humans. It is *potentially* very dangerous because when (not if) it mutates in the future it could become very deadly for humans. It kills young healthy people because the body's immunity freaks out and over-attacks it. The body's immune system basically drowns the person in there own fluids in reaction to a flu of this caliber. Younger adults with nice robust healthy immune systems are at higher risk because their body is better able to drown itself. The Spanish Flu (Swine's ancestor/cousin) pandemic of 1918 killed 25-50 million people worldwide. Most were young and otherwise healthy. That flu also hit during the summer and fall which is unusual. The US and most other countries are much better prepared for a flu pandemic now, both in organization and technology. The wildcard today is how virulent the virus becomes as it mutates while propagating rapidly across the globe.

Best case scenario: People get it in its mild state with relatively few deaths (a normal amount for flu), and the population builds some immunity to it.

Worst case scenario (far fetched): Something equivalent to the Black Death of medieval times on a global scale along with total global economic collapse.

It is much more likely to end up like the former than the latter, but it warrants our attention and diligence. It does not warrant panic or even some of the overreaction happening already. For instance, you cannot get Swine Flu from eating pork, even raw pork (not advised for other reasons).

Kevin M 2009-04-30 03:12 PM

Interesting. I wonder if anyone is trying using a low dose of immuno-suppressants as a treatment. Doesn't cure anything, but maybe reduces the severity of it.

knucklesplitter 2009-04-30 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 133482)
Interesting. I wonder if anyone is trying using a low dose of immuno-suppressants as a treatment. Doesn't cure anything, but maybe reduces the severity of it.

I think the normal treatment at the moment is do-nothing unless the symptoms are really bad. This flu isn't that deadly at the moment. If symptoms are bad (pneumonia.etc.) then the pneumonia is treated appropriately and anti-viral drugs are administered. Tamiflu is the brandname of the stuff that the US has stockpiled (50M courses I think). Give the Bush-43 Admin. credit (rare) for spending $B's on pandemic preparedness.

sperry 2009-04-30 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knucklesplitter (Post 133483)
I think the normal treatment at the moment is do-nothing unless the symptoms are really bad. This flu isn't that deadly at the moment. If symptoms are bad (pneumonia.etc.) then the pneumonia is treated appropriately and anti-viral drugs are administered. Tamiflu is the brandname of the stuff that the US has stockpiled (50M courses I think). Give the Bush-43 Admin. credit (rare) for spending $B's on pandemic preparedness.

You mean "give the Bush crew credit for spending $B's on the company Donald Rumsfeld was the chairman of the board for"? Gotcha.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/tamiflu.asp