Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   to get, or not to get. (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7292)

bign 2008-12-05 01:16 PM

to get, or not to get.

Right now my sti is TBE stage 2. I plan on getting some grimm p+p+c headers/up and was debating a few other items. I just wanted to see what you guys with tuning experience thought.

Perrin turbo inlet - Would this make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile?

APS top mount - Somebody is selling their APS TMIC for a reasonable price but I don't know if it would be worth it to upgrade my stock TMIC, I hear lots of different opinions on this.

I also plan on going to a an 18g or td06-20g-7cm sometime next spring. Would either of the two above be better ideas matched with the bigger turbro, or is the stock stuff pleny bueno?

WRX06TR 2008-12-05 01:36 PM

From what I have read, the turbo inlet might as well be done when the turbo is done, because its a PITA. But sure it wouldn't hurt with a new turbo. BTW go with the 20G on the STi, and of course a bigger intercooler would help with the bigger turbo.

100_Percent_Juice 2008-12-05 01:42 PM

^I think a turbo inlet would be easier to do if you were already doing something like TGV deletes. Doing it while doing your turbo still gives you a ton of work.

bign 2008-12-05 03:08 PM

I will be keeping the 2.4" inlet so a TGV delete isn't neccessary and the perrin is 'bendable' so you don't have to remove the intake mani to install it. I'm not so much concerned about the install as I am the performance benefit, was hoping somebody had tuned with it and had an opinion on it's worth.

I'm also hearing a few rumblings of the high altitude/91 oct combo up here makes the 20g not so spectacular since it can't boost high enough to be it's efficiency range. If it's is only going to net me 25-30whp for a 500rpm spool loss, I may just stay with the 39.

sperry 2008-12-05 03:09 PM

Not to undercut the good folks at GrimmSpeed, but I've got a set of coated Gruppe-S 4-1 headers just sitting on a shelf in my garage I'd sell you for cheaper.

bign 2008-12-05 04:02 PM

haha. I decided to go with the p+p+c stockers for a few reasons. Without going into much detail - cost (they even have 10% military discount now) - coated because I am not planning on FMIC and need to crack down on heatsoak - and most importantly to me, the overall ease of fitment and reliability with the oem pieces.

sperry 2008-12-05 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bign (Post 126135)
haha. I decided to go with the p+p+c stockers for a few reasons. Without going into much detail - cost (they even have 10% military discount now) - coated because I am not planning on FMIC and need to crack down on heatsoak - and most importantly to me, the overall ease of fitment and reliability with the oem pieces.

Just FYI: none of your concerns are issues w/ the headers I've got for sale. They're coated, they fit great, they're already tapped for an EGT, and Id' definately sell them cheaper than the $400 for Grimm's headers.

cody 2008-12-05 04:41 PM

Grimmspeed only charges $200 to PNP his stockers.

Edit: $280 P,P, and C with EGT tap from Grimmspeed. Crucial Racing charges $290 for the same (which I think includes shipping) and I'd trust their coating more only because I have personal experience with it.

sperry 2008-12-05 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 126137)
Grimmspeed only charges $200 to PNP his stockers.

Edit: $280 P,P, and C with EGT tap from Grimmspeed. Crucial Racing charges $290 for the same (which I think includes shipping) and I'd trust their coating more only because I have personal experience with it.

Uh, plus that $140 core charge.

bign 2008-12-05 10:45 PM

Why are you getting rid of them?

sperry 2008-12-05 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bign (Post 126165)
Why are you getting rid of them?

They don't clear the cosworth oil pan.