Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Two Starting Issues (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8792)

A1337STI 2010-05-07 03:02 PM

Two Starting Issues

So on my 93 impreza For the past month i've had an issue where i turn the key and nothing happens, no click clicks, no turning over of the motor. if i kept trying eventually it would act normal.

about a week before my last rally i was trying to go home From work and it just would not start. no click click clicks, nothing. for some reason i felt strongly that I should Bypass the remote wire going to the starter. :?:

So using one of my hood pins i connected the remote terminal to the positive terminal on the starter and Bingo! she turned right over and started up.

I started to notice this issue happens mostly when it was warmer out, so 30F in tahoe, starts right up. get down to work and try to start my car up at lunch .. 50/50 proposition. bit less likely after i've grabbed my food. and leaving work, definitely need to bypass ignition system.

@ the high desert trails rally the car wouldn't start via ignition switch , not even once. Tom tested the Voltage coming from the ignition and saw 12 volts (or the light bulb light up ) but we never tested amperage.

Issue #2
roll forward to last week, I was at working trying to start my car, fist via turning the key, the motor turned over, LOTS, but wouldn't actually start. i just kept at it. giving it a break breifly after about 15 seconds. finally it started. (it did about 20 -25 seconds of turning over)

Yesterday morning trying to leave tahoe the ignition system wouldn't get the starter to turn over, so i bypassed it via the hood pin. but the engine wouldn't start. :(

Same story this morning. :(

What should i start looking at for Issue #2?

And #1, #2 is a bit more pressing though.. RallyX in 1 week and a rally in 4! :oops::eek:

Jangis 2010-05-07 05:37 PM

Don't you worry your self i will be up tomorrow to fix it for you :lol:

A1337STI 2010-05-07 10:30 PM

sweet thanks, buying people beer is a lot easier than fixing my car. :)

Tom is suspecting that perhaps the Clutch sensor switch is going out, causing issue #1

#2... dunno ... :|

A1337STI 2010-05-09 04:14 PM

Jangis fixed it up , turned out my car had an antitheft device installed and it was going out. Jangis just removed it and it works fine. :)

cody 2010-05-09 08:49 PM

Haha, nice.

eggeegg 2010-11-01 08:07 PM

Was the clutch sensor the definite reason for issue #1? The exact same thing has been happening with my 06 WRX. It just started happening recently when the weather started getting cold. Last year around this time it happened a few times. I don't think it's a problem with the battery because when the motor turns, it starts immediately. After I stomp the clutch first, then turn the key, the car starts fine.

Thanks.