Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The 2013 autocross thread! (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9994)

Kevin M 2013-02-21 07:05 PM

The 2013 autocross thread!

What has two thumbs and a running race car? THIS GUY!

In other news, we're getting close to crunch time. Who's already ready for the season?

MattR 2013-02-21 10:30 PM

I just need to slap the summer tires back on. Might consider running as #1 this year. No other changes :cool:

sperry 2013-02-21 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 163231)
What has two thumbs and a running race car? THIS GUY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShxpYG_ql0

In other news, we're getting close to crunch time. Who's already ready for the season?

So, was it just a flaky ground on the battery?

And, I'm all set for the autocross season... in that the Miata is parked and waiting for the trials season to start. :lol:

Kevin M 2013-02-21 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 163234)
So, was it just a flaky ground on the battery?

And, I'm all set for the autocross season... in that the Miata is parked and waiting for the trials season to start. :lol:

Nope... it was a flaky ground on the engine harness which probably also caused my (apparent) failed throttle motor and cam sensors. I'm still going to move that battery ground up onto the trans tunnel where the parking brake bolts on though.

Kevin M 2013-02-21 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 163232)
I just need to slap the summer tires back on. Might consider running as #1 this year. No other changes :cool:

Yes. Yes you should.

Bob Danger 2013-02-22 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 163235)
Nope... it was a flaky ground on the engine harness which probably also caused my (apparent) failed throttle motor and cam sensors. I'm still going to move that battery ground up onto the trans tunnel where the parking brake bolts on though.

Isn't that where I originally put it last year?

Kevin M 2013-02-22 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Danger (Post 163239)
Isn't that where I originally put it last year?

Almost. And I haven't the slightest idea why I moved it...

WRXlerate 2013-02-23 09:39 AM

Lets get this party started!! Is the schedule ready yet? I know Cory has his hands full with his new duties.
Kevin, I'll chime in on the other thread at renoscca.org for a number request if you're still watching it...assuming they can work in both pdx and solo. Unless I am getting ahead of myself...cars still need #s for pdx don't they?

Kevin M 2013-02-23 01:17 PM

PDX and Solo registration are 100% separate, but there's no reason you can't just run the same number in both. Except of course for somebody snagging it first. :P

WRXlerate 2013-02-23 01:23 PM

Do you help with the reg for pdx also? Could I snag 59 for both? As posted at the scca forum though, I am a bit lost on my class. Any problem running novice again for solo? Couldn't find anything on that in the rulebook but was looking more for car class than anything else...

SoyKraut 2013-02-23 02:40 PM

Since she is also my daily, my car is pretty much always ready. I will most likely be running 530 RTESPYXZ for my number again this year since no one will ever want to put that much tape on their car. Or maybe I will get sick of carrying 2 rolls of tape in my glove box and get some numbers for this season....maybe. Now I just need to get over to KSpeed and get some new tires and a fender roll. What kind of rubber is everyone planning on running this season?

WRXlerate 2013-02-23 02:45 PM

Dunlop has some new Direzzas, no more star specs. Haven't read up on them yet though. I spurged and will be running heat cycled Toyo R888s on the lotus :)

SoyKraut 2013-02-23 03:26 PM

I saw the new ZII's and they look pretty sweet. Might go that route but I'm still not certain. I know BFG is coming out with a new tire that should be competitive as well but I'm not drinking any kool aid until I see some sort of test between this seasons new tires.

Kevin M 2013-02-23 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXlerate (Post 163248)
Do you help with the reg for pdx also? Could I snag 59 for both? As posted at the scca forum though, I am a bit lost on my class. Any problem running novice again for solo? Couldn't find anything on that in the rulebook but was looking more for car class than anything else...

I'm not involved in the track program, but it shouldn't be a problem. Since you;ve never run more than half a season of Solo that I know of, you can run Novice... although that's a little unfair with your car. :P Novice is a regional class, so there's nothing about it in the rulebook.

Kevin M 2013-02-23 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoyKraut (Post 163251)
I saw the new ZII's and they look pretty sweet. Might go that route but I'm still not certain. I know BFG is coming out with a new tire that should be competitive as well but I'm not drinking any kool aid until I see some sort of test between this seasons new tires.

I'm all about the koolaid. If I wasn't planning to end up on race tires I'd definitely grab some ZIIs.

WRXlerate 2013-02-23 11:16 PM

I need a nice set of street/cruising tires so I hope tirerack does a nice comparo write up before the season is in full swing. I've never been a big fan of BFG, their all season HP tires are the reason I'm missing a fair amount of paint on my fenders and doors :( and they still sucked for traction and wear. I know subaru's paint sucks but my continentals handle better, have better wear and don't kick up anywhere near as much road sand as the BFGs.
And koolaid is good if its the right flavor!

Kevin M 2013-02-24 12:43 PM

For those who still care, 2013 PAX has been available for a while. http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2013.html

Nearly unchanged except that most of the field has inched closer to A Mod again. Nearly every class increased by about .002 or so.

rory_a 2013-02-26 07:55 PM

I don't know what class I'll be in, but hopefully I might at least have a running car before tech inspection.

WRXlerate 2013-02-26 09:14 PM

Haha, I know how that feels!

k-dogg39 2013-03-01 04:55 PM

Annual Tech March 30th at summit. Be there with a printout of the first page of the rule book. More info here if you need it.

SoyKraut 2013-03-15 10:48 PM

Ok, so who is ready for tech? Anyone want to chime on their changes or improvements? Or is it more like a "Skunk Works" thing? MikeK: this is where you insert a comment about not messing with success. Then KevinW will make "one more call" to Cory looking for that edge. :D

WRXlerate 2013-03-16 07:46 AM

Ready for tech...Hahaha. I'll be lucky if I have 'a' car to race when the season starts. The Lotus and the subaru are still down at this point :( and rules won't allow me to run the Tacoma, lol. I guess I could bring out my bone stock civic cx commuter, although that would be so slow it would not even be any fun.
Looking forward to see how well Kevin's car does this season with all of the changes. I haven't seen anyone else's car down at Kspeed for weeks at a time so I don't know if anyone else has anything up their sleeve :)

k-dogg39 2013-03-16 04:40 PM

That's just my winter garage, nothing going on there. ;)

WRXlerate 2013-03-17 08:15 PM

Lol, I need to get one of those too. I'll have to give them a call.

k-dogg39 2013-03-28 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-dogg39 (Post 163299)
Annual Tech March 30th at summit. Be there with a printout of the first page of the rule book. More info here if you need it.

Just a reminder for Saturday Annual Tech!