Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Shopping for a pre '02 Impreza, any advice?? (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7995)

WRXlerate 2009-08-04 10:38 AM

Shopping for a pre '02 Impreza, any advice??

So after the last auto X outing, the girlfriend decided she wants to buy an impreza coupe (she likes the pre '02 body style). I know there are a few of you on here that know a lot about the older imprezas. Is there anything I should know about or problems I should look out for before buying one? Maybe one particular year had better this or worse that? Years to stay away from??
Any input would be great.
Thanks

moose 2009-08-04 11:02 AM

Pretty much one major thing to worry about is the head gaskets. They have a tendency to go out around 100,000 miles so see if it was done or not.
Also, I would suggest to find the 2000 or 2001 model RS because of the SOHC and rear lsd that the 98 and 99 don't have.
Also, here is a site for RS's. rs25.com. There is a lot of useful information on there.

Kevin M 2009-08-04 12:03 PM

Basically, buy the newest, lowest mileage one you can find. They're all old enough now that you should plan on timing belt and major services when you buy, unless it was recently done with receipts to back it up.

There are a lot of little differences, but nothing substantial. I'm not a big fan of the '98 DOHC compared to the SOHC, but it's not like it's a terrible motor at all. Just go for the one that seems to be the best taken care of- not that you're going ot find a whole lot of them to choose from. So definitely be patient and wait for one that seems good to you.

cody 2009-08-04 12:37 PM

They went from DOHC to SOHC? Isn't that like a step backward?

sperry 2009-08-04 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 138270)
They went from DOHC to SOHC? Isn't that like a step backward?

Not if the simpler, lighter SOHC works better.

Dean 2009-08-04 12:53 PM

In theory, as long as you can open/close valves when you want, number of cams is meaningless. In fact, more cams = more rotating mass and friction and possible miss timing between the cams even if only due to belt stretch.

2 cams more easily permits vvt and multi-valve intake/exhaust, but if you are not using those, then no real benefit.

Valve and spark plug position may be affected, which changes manifold flow, etc...

SOHC = KISS + cheaper.

MPREZIV 2009-08-04 06:40 PM

I'll add that I'd try to steer away from cars that are already modified, simply because you don't know what quality of work has taken place, but that's pretty universal with buying a used car... but if you do find something with modifications, having a mechanic familiar with the platform look it over is a bit of a help.

i totally know a guy... ;)

WRXlerate 2009-08-05 02:46 PM

Thanks for all of the input, I'll keep it in mind ;)
I'm hoping to talk her into settling for a sedan, the coupes are extremely hard to find...at least in good condition and with a 5 speed.

Kevin M 2009-08-05 04:54 PM

Sedans are better IMO. I wish I'd been able to get a deal like I got on my coupe back when I was looking.

NevadaSTi 2009-08-05 07:47 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think of this 99 Impreza?

http://reno.craigslist.org/ctd/1304175148.html

Kevin M 2009-08-05 07:50 PM

Looks like a good deal, even though it's probably salvaged. Not a big deal if it's repaired decently. Mileage is a bit high but a timing belt/HG job can be done in a driveway in a day for around $200 in parts, and that takes care of the main issues from the mileage. then you would just need to keep an eye out and start budgeting for little things like a wheel bearing or CV joint going out.

I'd be interested in it myself if I didn't already have a cheap wagon daily driver.

NevadaSTi 2009-08-05 07:55 PM

Thanks Kevin, my stupid 4Runner is being just that, stupid.

bigrobwoot 2009-08-05 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaSTi (Post 138310)
Thanks Kevin, my stupid 4Runner is being just that, stupid.

God damn imports