Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oil (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8499)

Aaronsp10 2010-01-31 10:38 AM

Oil

What engine oil are you guys running? What would you recomend for a 25k mile stage 2 sti?

Kevin M 2010-01-31 11:39 AM

Plain old dino is okay really if you change it every 2500-3000 miles, but pretty much everyone here runs a quality synthetic with change intervals of 3k-6k for turbo cars. NA cars can go much longer if they're not used for things like autocross.

Personally I like Redline, but Royal Purple and other full synthetics are good too. If you search other sites you'll see negative comments about Mobil1 and Castrol and other "regular" synthetics, that they're garbage, but it's not true. They're just not as good as the top shelf stuff is all.

Kevin M 2010-01-31 11:40 AM

Oh, and spring for quality oil filters. IIRC the best ones currently are Wix and Purolater, but I can't remember the part numbers.

sperry 2010-01-31 01:23 PM

I dropped Mobile 1 in favor of Redline in the WRX. I use Castrol GTX in the SVX. Delo 400 in the diesel truck.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-01-31 01:24 PM

I use mobil 1. Scott, why did you make the switch?

sperry 2010-01-31 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 144643)
I use mobil 1. Scott, why did you make the switch?

Mobil 1's recently earned a reputation of breaking down dramatically at high temps. Granted, these are at temps a street car shouldn't be running at, but I was seeing 270F oil temps on the track and perhaps not so coincidentally I was spinning rod bearings. Perhaps it's not Mobil 1's fault as no oil may protect the bearing at those temps, but Redline is only a little more expensive and is a whole lot cheaper than rebuilding a motor, so I use it for the insurance value.

BTW: I still use Mobil 1 in our turbo Saab.

Dean 2010-01-31 02:00 PM

STI: Red Line, though I may try Royal Purple at some point.

Audi: the last of my supply of old Mobil 1 is in it now topped off with some GTX.

F150: Dino.

Filters:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ions-pics.html

This is the filter I will be trying when I run out of OEM black filters...

Purolator PureONE PL14610 (Oversized)

You could not pay me to use the new blue filters or most any of the others.

DARKSTI 2010-01-31 03:40 PM

I like Shell Rotella T 5w40 for winter and Redline 15w50 or 10w40 for summer.

cody 2010-02-01 09:45 AM

I run German Castrol in the Winter and I may switch to Redline 5W-30 in the Summer. I'd go thicker for a track day in hundred degree weather though.

bigrobwoot 2010-02-01 09:53 AM

I use Royal Purple 5W-30, my car does seem to eat a bit of it tho

cody 2010-02-01 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrobwoot (Post 144679)
I use Royal Purple 5W-30, my car does seem to eat a bit of it tho

Mine did too. That's one of the reasons I stopped using it.

BTW, I use the larger Purlolator Pure 1 filters too. You may want to wrap/coat your headers if you use the big ones. Subaru went to the small ones to get the outside shell of the filter further away from the radiant head of the headers.

WRX06TR 2010-02-01 04:24 PM

What's wrong with the oem blue filters? Those are what I have always used.

cody 2010-02-01 04:38 PM

Supposedly they're made by Honeywell in Canada and they suck when you open them up. Similar quality to Fram IIRC.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-02-02 09:06 AM

Scott, where is your oil temp sensor located? I stuck mine where the factory sensor was, simply because subaru didn't have the tapped oil galley plug in stock. I think I will move it to the other location eventually and put a pressure sensor in the factory spot. On average my oil temps around 180-210.

Dean 2010-02-02 09:18 AM

My pressure and Temp sensor are in a oil filter sandwich adapter. It is actually Scott's old one.

sperry 2010-02-02 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 144724)
Scott, where is your oil temp sensor located? I stuck mine where the factory sensor was, simply because subaru didn't have the tapped oil galley plug in stock. I think I will move it to the other location eventually and put a pressure sensor in the factory spot. On average my oil temps around 180-210.

Mine's in the top of the block in a drilled/tapped plug. I've also run it in my remote oil filter block in the past, which should read pretty cool compared to the actual temps, and I was still seeing ridiculous temps on the track.

Your oil temps should always be above about 180 once the car warms up. Cooler than that and you're too cold for the proper oil viscosity. 240 is a pretty good number for "as hot as you should see without worrying about it" as long as you're not always running that hot. Over 240 and the oil starts thinning out.

At 285, you might as well just pull into the pits and guess which rod is knocking this time.

Dean 2010-02-02 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 144730)
Mine's in the top of the block in a drilled/tapped plug.

I was thinking about moving mine to the block. Where did you put them? I have no idea what oil passage on top makes the most sense. Picture?

sperry 2010-02-02 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 144732)
I was thinking about moving mine to the block. Where did you put them? I have no idea what oil passage on top makes the most sense. Picture?

I can't seem to find a picture. IIRC, the plug is on top of the block... it's a little bigger than the diameter of a quarter. It's got a large allen/hex socket on it. I drilled out the socket and tapped it for the temp probe. Then installed the probe in the plug before installing the plug in the block. I may or may not be able to get it out again in the future. :lol:

I based the location on NASIOC recommendations. Same with my oil pressure in the back of the heads... except the plug I was supposed to use wouldn't unscrew easily and I didn't want to round it, so I used the other plug which may be behind a pressure regulator so I'm not seeing the exact hi-end pressure.

Dean 2010-02-02 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 144733)
I can't seem to find a picture. IIRC, the plug is on top of the block... it's a little bigger than the diameter of a quarter. It's got a large allen/hex socket on it. I drilled out the socket and tapped it for the temp probe. Then installed the probe in the plug before installing the plug in the block. I may or may not be able to get it out again in the future. :lol:

I based the location on NASIOC recommendations. Same with my oil pressure in the back of the heads... except the plug I was supposed to use wouldn't unscrew easily and I didn't want to round it, so I used the other plug which may be behind a pressure regulator so I'm not seeing the exact hi-end pressure.

I'll go in search of that thread on Nasioc.

bluestreak 2010-02-02 10:35 AM

I use Redline 5W-30 and the Nissan filters that Cory recommended to me. I change my oil every 3k, by about 2k though I usually need to add about a 1/2 to 2/3 of a quart. Mobil1 burned off nearly twice as much....

cody 2010-02-02 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestreak (Post 144738)
I use Redline 5W-30 and the Nissan filters that Cory recommended to me. I change my oil every 3k, by about 2k though I usually need to add about a 1/2 to 2/3 of a quart. Mobil1 burned off nearly twice as much....

That's about how much oil I burn in my '03 too.

szucchet 2010-02-03 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 144732)

dean if you do that, I am interested in the sandwich adaptor

Dean 2010-02-03 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by szucchet (Post 144805)
dean if you do that, I am interested in the sandwich adaptor

I did some more research, and will probably leave it where it is unless I get an oil cooler.

knucklesplitter 2010-02-03 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 144730)
Mine's in the top of the block in a drilled/tapped plug. I've also run it in my remote oil filter block in the past, which should read pretty cool compared to the actual temps, and I was still seeing ridiculous temps on the track.

Your oil temps should always be above about 180 once the car warms up. Cooler than that and you're too cold for the proper oil viscosity. 240 is a pretty good number for "as hot as you should see without worrying about it" as long as you're not always running that hot. Over 240 and the oil starts thinning out.

At 285, you might as well just pull into the pits and guess which rod is knocking this time.

Many say it's a good idea to keep oil at around the boiling point for water, 210F or so. This makes sure that all condensation flashes out of the oil and out your breather lines.

knucklesplitter 2010-02-03 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 144724)
...simply because subaru didn't have the tapped oil galley plug in stock. I think I will move it to the other location eventually and put a pressure sensor in the factory spot.

I have 1 or 2 of those galley plug adapters. Was thinking about making a kit that includes the plug and a 1' stainless braided extension so the bigger pressure senders can be remotely mounted instead of buried down by the block or even not fitting.