Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   MECCS? (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9646)

sperry 2012-01-09 12:31 AM

MECCS?

Coming this summer, difficult questions must be answered!

Can a 6'4" Sasquatch fit in a tiny car? Can said Sasquatch actually drive a car that takes some skill to pilot? Will Miatas turn straight men gay?

Questions will be answered...

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20P...a/IMG_0659.JPG

http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20P...a/IMG_0639.JPG

But seriously, I bought a Miata. It was Denis's for sale on the RenoSCCA board. I figure I'll shoehorn myself in there (aluminum race seat is already on order) and run it next season. Hopefully it's as much fun, but much cheaper than my WRX (which I'm also planning on running as well to compare). Winner stays in my garage, the other goes up for sale.

Also, this means I *really* could use one of you guys to buy my SVX! Parking 6 cars at my house is impossible!

Dean 2012-01-09 08:17 AM

I think this will be a great challenge for you!

Going to change the passenger seat too?

Ghey Sasquatch Racing... :lol:

MattR 2012-01-09 08:23 AM

Your plate is very fitting for a Mazda...xum = zoom? I'm curious to see you in a new car, I have to be honest, learning to drive a new car over the course of last autocross season really added to the fun, I'm sure the same applies to the track as well.

Nick Koan 2012-01-09 08:57 AM

I find the title of this thread offensive to the good and proud people of the great nation of Mexica.

sperry 2012-01-09 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 159877)
I think this will be a great challenge for you!

Going to change the passenger seat too?

Ghey Sasquatch Racing... :lol:

Well, since I may end up selling the car in just a few months, I'm trying to spend as little as possible on it. Basically, I need to get myself into it comfortably with the necessary safety gear (seat, steering wheel, belts, hardtop, brake pads/fluid). There are also some other little fixes it needs... the high-beam switch only works in flash to pass mode (fixed it over the weekend) the wiper blades don't park automatically (rewired it to park, but lost my intermittent setting... I need a solder-on relay to actually fix it), the rear brake light has a loose connection at the bulb, and probably 100 other little things that need attention but won't cost much to address.

If the car works out, then I'll probably get the second seat to match, and consider a mild build on the motor or something... a 151k mile 1.8L is pretty gutless and the heads need a refresh due to the god-awful HLA ticking that all NA Miatas eventually get. Probably touch up the paint/do a vinyl wrap, since the car is pretty rough.

At least most the important performance stuff is done... it's got Koni yellows, a rollbar (though not SCCA legal, hence the hardtop, but it's probably passable for adding some real rollover protection), light/wide wheels, and a nearly new set of StarSpecs on it. Though I'd love some 15x9 RPF1's with RA1's on 'em. :devil:

Also, GSR is pretty catchy. I wonder if GYSSQCH is a taken license plate? :lol:

A1337STI 2012-01-09 12:40 PM

Keep the miata for track days and autoX

convert the WRX for rally cross ? :p ... If you want to Try your WRX in a rally cross , later during the season I'll have a full spare set of rally coilovers you could borrow. just slap some snow tires on it. (or i have rally tires on rims i could loan you, but they 15"s and i think your rotors are 15" :P lol)

sperry 2012-01-09 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1337STI (Post 159881)
Keep the miata for track days and autoX

convert the WRX for rally cross ? :p ... If you want to Try your WRX in a rally cross , later during the season I'll have a full spare set of rally coilovers you could borrow. just slap some snow tires on it. (or i have rally tires on rims i could loan you, but they 15"s and i think your rotors are 15" :P lol)

I'd rallycross the Miata long before the WRX. :lol: The Miata would probably do okay as-is (plus, it's already beat up!)... the WRX would need $thousands to go from tarmac to dirt. :lol:

In fact... Maybe I should try to find some steelies and cheap tires and rallyx this season before I do anything to make it stiffer for the track. :?:

A1337STI 2012-01-09 03:38 PM

That's True.. we've had a fair amount of RWD rallycross cars show up too. Pat and a codriver in his miata .. Mike in a BMW 3xx (older one) Omar now has a RWD Impreza ... :O

Miatas are so light surface doesn't matter much. Nimble is Nimble ! hehe

zpeed 2012-01-09 06:54 PM

If you want a new roll bars, I highly recommend Hard Dog Roll Bars.
Let me know if you want Kirkey Racing seat or Weld Racing wheel, I have a connection. I can get you cheaper than the big store on Glendale.

rory_a 2012-01-09 07:27 PM

Color me jelly.

Kevin M 2012-01-09 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpeed (Post 159896)
If you want a new roll bars, I highly recommend Hard Dog Roll Bars.
Let me know if you want Kirkey Racing seat or Weld Racing wheel, I have a connection. I can get you cheaper than the big store on Glendale.

Nat, I am strongly leaning towards replacing the seats in the wagon with Kirkey buckets. PM me with what you can do. :)

Kevin M 2012-01-09 07:35 PM

Scott, good pick up. I briefly considered liquidating the wagon to go back to a simple car like a Miata, but I figure I have to actually finish at lest *one* project car in my lifetime. At some point you'll want good coilovers, but if it were me I'd take the mods slow too, and take advantage of the stockish-ness to do a little rallycross on it. A set of cheapass 15" snow tires will be fantastic for that, and you don't need to do much else.

van 2012-01-09 08:44 PM

It looks very pink in that first picture. Cute

skimonkey30 2012-01-10 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Koan (Post 159879)
I find the title of this thread offensive to the good and proud people of the great nation of Mexica.

I agree, totally offensive :lol:

Nice car Scott, cant wait to see the pictures of how your able to wedge yourself in that thing :)

sperry 2012-01-10 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skimonkey30 (Post 159907)
I agree, totally offensive :lol:

Nice car Scott, cant wait to see the pictures of how your able to wedge yourself in that thing :)

I should have snapped a photo of my garage floor after I ripped out all the padding from the driver's seat. And it still isn't low enough for me to fit w/ a helmet on. :lol:

The Ultra-Shield seat I ordered should be here on Thursday.

http://www.ultrashieldrace.com/prodt...idth=500&id=21

I'd like to be able to mount it on sliders directly to the floor so my wife can also drive the car... but I'm afraid I won't be able to give up the extra inch or so. Those hard tops are actually quite low! Mazda should have put Gurney bubbles in them.

skimonkey30 2012-01-10 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 159908)
I should have snapped a photo of my garage floor after I ripped out all the padding from the driver's seat. And it still isn't low enough for me to fit w/ a helmet on. :lol:

It's why I was never able to buy an s2000

God damn tall genes

100_Percent_Juice 2012-01-11 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 159908)
I'd like to be able to mount it on sliders directly to the floor so my wife can also drive the car.

Why would your wife need to drive it? Someone has to wear the pants in the relationship.

van 2012-01-11 09:32 AM

I'm actually interested in seeing how well your'e able to fold yourself into this thing. I've been wondering if I could safely run an NB at the track.
Good suspension and cheap consumables sound appealing.

AtomicLabMonkey 2012-01-11 11:33 AM

Hard dog rollbars are decent but don't trust the hardware that comes with it if you happen to get one. I snapped several bolts before reaching the proper torque when I installed mine.

Also if you keep it around and want to put a real cage in it at some point, let me know if you want pointers on the design. I did some FEA on different tube configs to analyze stiffness vs. weight for a spec cage.

sperry 2012-01-21 12:43 PM

Oh FFS.... Anyone know where to buy welding gas on a weekend?

I ran out of gas at 12:30 today. The only place I can find online that's open on Saturday at all closed at noon.

Is it literally impossible to buy gas on a weekend or what? Anyone know where I can get some gas so I don't have to throw away the whole weekend and get nothing done until Monday?

sperry 2012-01-21 12:47 PM

For reference, I'm looking for 40 cubic feet of 75/25 argon/CO2 for a mig welder. I own a tank, just need to trade it out for a full one.

sperry 2012-01-21 01:11 PM

Well I guess I'm fucked. Apparently I'm the only person in Reno that runs out of welding supplies on the weekend. Time to switch the welder over to flux core and make some filthy welds! :mad:

100_Percent_Juice 2012-01-21 05:20 PM

What are the settings on your machine?

AtomicLabMonkey 2012-01-21 08:46 PM

Do you have a Northern Tool? The one near us in NC had gas bottles and was open weekends. Other than that, I dunno. The typical industrial supply houses are usually only open regular weekday hours.

sti deede 2012-01-23 06:28 AM

That sucks Scott. The welding supply store in Sacramento is open on Saturdays till 3. So at least they got it right. It's also a 1/2 mile from our house. :)

I hope you were able to finish up.