Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Reviews (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Sierra Invisible Shield (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9127)

sperry 2010-11-29 04:07 PM

Sierra Invisible Shield

At the recommendation of some folks here, I had my new-to-me Outback clear-bra'd at Sierra Invisible Shield.

http://sierrainvisibleshield.com/
1645 Crane Way, Sparks, NV 89431
Office (775) 857-2606
Fax: (775) 322-1023
dexter@nvbell.net

SIS is run by Dexter Baker and his son Dexter Jr. at the same location as Sierra AutoSport and C&C in Sparks off Rock Blvd right next to I80. Some of you guys will know the Dexters from the black GTV6 Alfa Romeo they run at Reno SCCA time trials. While I was there, old Dexter gave me a tour of the place... Dave at C&C was there still wrenching on their SuperLight 25hr of T-Hill car, the AutoSport guys were up to their elbows in Ferrari guts, and Dexter's partner was painting up a work truck. Dexter also showed me his Alfa collection.

Anyway, young Dexter and his crew were able to do-up my Outback in under 4 hours. The Venture Shield kit covers the front bumper, lights, leading edge of the hood and fenders, and the side mirrors. Plus, they did a bunch of customization, including stretching the hood/fender portion of the kit by probably 30% on the computer before cutting it in order to cover a bunch more of the front hood and fenders. They also did custom bits on the rear bumper to protect the bumper and trunk lid when loading the trunk, as well as some custom bits on the rear wheel wells/fenders.

The normal price for the Outback is $675. Dexter was able to knock a good percentage off that, as well as include all the custom work. We did not negotiate an "official" SECCS price or anything, but as those guys are local racers and car enthusiasts, I have no doubt they'll be willing to hook up anyone anyone that mentions SECCS or RenoSCCA as best they can.

So, I highly recommend Sierra Invisible Shield for clear bra... For every car I own, I've always thought about getting the car covered, but never got around to it before the winter sand demolished the paint. Now that I know there's someone local worth bringing it to, I've got no excuses. I just need to get the rest of my cars repainted. :lol:

I'll try to get some pictures of the finished product up here... but considering how invisible the stuff actually is, and how dirty the Outback is now that it's snowing, it may be a while before I can take any shots worth looking at.

GusGus91 2010-11-29 05:10 PM

I got my car done here last Friday. They did a great job on the sti. They did all of the spots that Sperry mentioned in the first post. But Im going to take it back and see if they can do a couple more custom spots for me.

I highly recommend taking it to them. They also did my tint too. Great work!

zpeed 2010-11-29 07:19 PM

FYI Tint is done by All Seasons Window Tinting on Prosperity Street. They just bring your car over for your convenience.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-11-29 07:41 PM

The front windows on my last car were done at All Seasons. It looked great for the price and they did darker than anyone else was willing to do at the time.

GusGus91 2010-11-29 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpeed (Post 153674)
FYI Tint is done by All Seasons Window Tinting on Prosperity Street. They just bring your car over for your convenience.

I'm pretty sure Reid at sierra did it on mine.. As far as I know he did everything on my car, because he kept saying "I did this" , Then "I added this for you", "I'll do as dark as you want". Either way, it looks good.

Dexter @ SIS 2010-11-30 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zpeed (Post 153674)

Nat, you're right in most cases. We have had a relationship with Alan at All Seasons for 5 years now. As you said, as a service to our customers, we will facilitate the window tint installation and not charge the customer for our service. We do this because most days we are very busy doing invisible shields. However, when we have the time to work on a project that's more involved, we will offer putting Reid and Eric to work on the project. We have a large inventory of window tint film on hand.

In this case, Reid, indeed, installed the window tint, All Seasons did not. He had the time and wanted to be sure the total project was perfect for Austin as he does for everyone.

Nat, this is a new experience for us participating in your Forum and, we want to be sure we continue to provide our customers like yourself with superior quality service.

Thanks for your continued support,
Dexter and the Crew @ Sierra Invisible Shield

100_Percent_Juice 2010-11-30 10:24 AM

I have to say that I am pretty impressed with your first post. This sounds like the beginning of a great forum-vendor relationship.

Dexter @ SIS 2010-11-30 11:29 AM

Scott, Thank you for the great feedback! Yes, for over six years now we have paid special attention to SCCA members and enthusiast groups like SECCS. We will offer special pricing and additional coverage to suit their driving conditions. We have some new MATTE FINISH and CARBON FIBER films that work well for accent sections on the driver or race cars our customers have. Also, if you have any SECCS members that would like to come in and see how we do all this, they are always welcome.

Thanks again for your support and recommendation!
Dexter

GusGus91 2010-11-30 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter @ SIS (Post 153681)
Scott, Thank you for the great feedback! Yes, for over six years now we have paid special attention to SCCA members and enthusiast groups like SECCS. We will offer special pricing and additional coverage to suit their driving conditions. We have some new MATTE FINISH and CARBON FIBER films that work well for accent sections on the driver or race cars our customers have. Also, if you have any SECCS members that would like to come in and see how we do all this, they are always welcome.

Thanks again for your support and recommendation!
Dexter

The wider fenders on my sti seem to be catching a lot of road debris.. I may have to come in and have some invisible shield added to those as well..

zpeed 2010-11-30 10:02 PM

Sorry for the mistake. :( I've been happy customer since 2006 with my Honda. They always take a really good care of their customer.

Tripperfx3 2010-12-17 06:40 PM

I know this old, but the guys at SIS are great! Eric and Reid (the techs) are great guys and personal friends and do amazing work!

cody 2010-12-17 06:54 PM

Is it just me, or is the post date stamp different now? Or did it always display the year first?

^Hey Trip!

Tripperfx3 2010-12-18 01:18 PM

lol Asking the wrong person cody! How ya doing buddy? Long time no talk.

cody 2010-12-18 01:25 PM

I didn't mean to direct that question to you. Doing good. Sorry to hear about the Evo, man.

Motoring 2010-12-19 09:05 AM

I had them buff out the headlights on my truck last week - they look brand new. They also put invisible shield over the headlights so they won't discolor again. I can see a lot better at night now.:)

Tripperfx3 2010-12-19 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 154070)
I didn't mean to direct that question to you. Doing good. Sorry to hear about the Evo, man.

Lol I know Cody. Doing good. Leaving for the Navy in February. Pretty stoked about it actually.

Motoring,

They do great work on pretty much anything. I haven't met their detailer, but I've seen some of his work and the equipment he uses and being a detail enthuisast myself I was quite impressed. Although I'm sure the SIS guys probably buffed out your headlights. I've helped them do a few when I was down at the shop and bored lol.

zpeed 2010-12-19 06:42 PM

Nice Clean Shop, Professional Equipments and previous customers (all high dollars cars) That are the reasons I picked them over other shop. Plus they are car guys like us.

GusGus91 2010-12-28 02:44 PM

Some of my clear bra got dirt under it somehow and is lifting.. as well as lifting the paint..

Dean 2010-12-28 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGus91 (Post 154171)
Some of my clear bra got dirt under it somehow and is lifting.. as well as lifting the paint..

Call and/or go talk to them. Sounds like a paint issue more than a clear bra issue though as you describe it. If the paint is sticking to the CB better than the primer/car, you can't blame the CB. Is it factory paint or do you know?

GusGus91 2010-12-28 05:30 PM

Yea it's factory paint.. But the dirt got under the CB a few days ago and was ok. Then I noticed today it was worse and had also removed some paint. I plan on going in there. Just havent had time.

Dean 2010-12-28 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusGus91 (Post 154179)
Yea it's factory paint.. But the dirt got under the CB a few days ago and was ok. Then I noticed today it was worse and had also removed some paint. I plan on going in there. Just havent had time.

Let us know how it goes, but I bet Dex and Dexter will take care of you if it is remotely related to their work.

Which car is it on? Buy it new? Is clar coming off the color, clear/color coming off the primer or all 3 layers coming up so you have bare metal?

Not doubting you in any way, just surprised/interested.

Most of the Subaru paint I have seen is pretty well bonded to the primer and that pretty damn well to the car. My STI hood is pitted pretty bad and my WRX went through a F'ing sand storm and the pits never spread to the top color layer peeling from the primer or even the clear really coming up at all.

Would think the clear coat might pull off the color, but the color off the primer or primer off the metal just sounds weird for relatively new factory paint which I am assuming it is if you are bother to bra it.

OK, I am just rambling now... :) Again, just interested, not saying you are wrong, stupid or anything bad about you at all.

GusGus91 2010-12-28 06:14 PM

It's on the 08 sti that I just got a month ago. It's on the bumper so it's just black, so I'm assuming that's the base layer? Yea I'm sure they will take care of me if it's anything to do with their product. I still dont understand why the CB peeled up though. This is the second time this has happened. and I've noticed there's dirt underneath the CB in many spots, and I dont want this to happen over more areas of the car. Yea my wrx has been through some crap, but it's still held up pretty good. Nothing like this though..

Dean 2010-12-28 06:24 PM

Wonder if the previous owner had some body work done they didn't mention to you... Dealer or private party?

Weird.

GusGus91 2010-12-28 06:49 PM

Dealer. Carfax was as clean as soap. Every record was kept all maintenance done on time. No accidents.

thegoat 2011-01-11 12:22 PM

First post to the forum. I am scheduled to pick up a 2011 Sti on Monday (scheduled delivery date - have been waiting about 10 weeks now). Taking the car over to Sierra to have a clear bra put on. From speaking to Derek, it sounds like they know what they are doing - but will be able to report after the work gets done. He offered a good price and offered to throw in some extras.

Background: This will be my third Sub, but the first in a long while. I have been stuck messing around with Lotus for a while (still have a Seven), but am coming back to Subaru for some all wheel fun.