Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   At least i am consistent (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9094)

doubleurx 2010-11-06 10:32 PM

At least i am consistent

2 Attachment(s)
Ready for winter!

WRXRallyBlue 2010-11-06 11:33 PM

Every Porsche purist just lost 2 months off their life span. An abomination! Hehe ;)

In all seriousness, those wheels are sexy!

cody 2010-11-07 08:38 AM

Looks great. Do you expect to drive it regularly when it's crappy out or just for fun on the weekends? What tires?

Dean 2010-11-07 09:25 AM

I would say that it the perfect winter configuration for any C4!!!

Porsches are meant to be driven, not stored.

Any reason you did not center the box? Would think it would still be reachable as low as the car is.

van 2010-11-07 09:44 AM

Love it.

MattR 2010-11-07 09:54 AM

This made my day! Nice dude. What wheels are those?

doubleurx 2010-11-07 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 153200)
Looks great. Do you expect to drive it regularly when it's crappy out or just for fun on the weekends? What tires?

It's my daily driver. So as long as it is not too deep and heavy, it will be on the road. The tires are Blizzack LM60's 225/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear.

doubleurx 2010-11-07 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 153203)
I would say that it the perfect winter configuration for any C4!!!

Porsches are meant to be driven, not stored.

Any reason you did not center the box? Would think it would still be reachable as low as the car is.

I'm old and lazy. Centering the box requires you to lean against the car to get equipment out. It will probably save the paint from my zipper as well.

Yes they need to be driven daily!

doubleurx 2010-11-07 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 153205)
This made my day! Nice dude. What wheels are those?

OZ Alleggerita's from tirerack. They are really light for their size. The fronts are 18X8.5 ET 50 (18.2 lbs) and the rears are 18X10 ET 40 (20.8 lbs).

van 2010-11-07 06:43 PM

Reminiscent of this beauty

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...bff76f31_b.jpg

Dean 2010-11-07 06:47 PM

One of My Audi club instructor buddies has a Twin Turbo with a roof rack designed for 4 race tires so he doesn't have to deal with the stupid 55MPH towing law in CA. :)

Kevin M 2010-11-07 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 153216)
One of My Audi club instructor buddies has a Twin Turbo with a roof rack designed for 4 race tires so he doesn't have to deal with the stupid 55MPH towing law in CA. :)

Two words for him: Tire Tail.

sybir 2010-11-07 07:08 PM

Looks great, Nick. I love that you use it!

Dean 2010-11-07 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 153217)
Two words for him: Tire Tail.

One word, No...

He has a long and detailed response why roof is better with many reasons, the most basic of which is the car was actually designed to carry weight on the roof and not hanging off the back.

sperry 2010-11-08 10:43 AM

I'd rather have the tires up on the roof rather than swinging around hanging off the ass of the car as well, just from a handling perspective.

Then again, If you're going to drive a Porsche to the track, just run on street tires and make sure you leave yourself enough tire to get home on. If you really want to run R-comps on your Porsche at the track, well you should be able to afford the truck and trailer to do it more safely and comfortably.

Nick Koan 2010-11-08 10:57 AM

Love the roof rack.

Furthermore: Adding more weight behind the rear axle of a tail happy RR car just doesn't sound like fun.

Dean 2010-11-08 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 153231)
I'd rather have the tires up on the roof rather than swinging around hanging off the ass of the car as well, just from a handling perspective.

Then again, If you're going to drive a Porsche to the track, just run on street tires and make sure you leave yourself enough tire to get home on. If you really want to run R-comps on your Porsche at the track, well you should be able to afford the truck and trailer to do it more safely and comfortably.

He originally developed the system for OTC (Open Track Challenge[7 Tracks in 7 Days]) and I believe the class he was in required the car to be driven between tracks. Regardless, the transit time was way lower in a TT than in any tow rig configuration so they got more sleep.

Original config for OTC. Only shot I could find easily. note tires are unmounted and sideways for minimum cross section.
http://www.nsxfiles.com/images/otc_911_turbo.jpg

sperry 2010-11-08 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 153236)
He originally developed the system for OTC (Open Track Challenge[7 Tracks in 7 Days]) and I believe the class he was in required the car to be driven between tracks. Regardless, the transit time was way lower in a TT than in any tow rig configuration so they got more sleep.

Ahh, that makes sense. I'm pretty sure all the OTC cars have to be street legal and make the transits w/o a trailer.

The question then is... what do they do when they kill that set of tires at a track? Order more tires to be waiting for them at the next stop?

rory_a 2010-11-08 11:36 AM

And here I was thinking the WRX wagon was a good snow-going car. Soooo jealous of this. The perfect Porsche ready for the weather. You're my hero.

Once again reminded that I need a new job....

Dean 2010-11-08 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 153237)
The question then is... what do they do when they kill that set of tires at a track? Order more tires to be waiting for them at the next stop?

Yes, but I think they were street tires in the first place IIRC. Look at the pic.

sperry 2010-11-08 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 153239)
Yes, but I think they were street tires in the first place IIRC. Look at the pic.

Um, there was no picture when I replied. :P

Also... those tires look like Pilot Sport Cups... which are R-comps.

http://www.apothema.gr/files/product...-Sport-Cup.jpg

Dean 2010-11-08 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry (Post 153240)
Also... those tires look like Pilot Sport Cups... which are R-comps.

Sorry, I was searching for a pic... Good eyes. Still yes on having tires waiting at the next hotel/garage at key points.

sperry 2010-11-08 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 153241)
Sorry, I was searching for a pic... Good eyes. Still yes on having tires waiting at the next hotel/garage at key points.

I recognize them 'cause I've got a 3 year old set on my WRX still. :lol: Also, those are the OEM tires for the GT3 Porsches... I would expect them to be popular with the track going Porsche crowd.