Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Okay, now what? (sperry's motor tear-down thread) (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6121)

sperry 2007-08-15 09:10 PM

Okay, now what? (sperry's motor tear-down thread)

The engine is ready to come out... except, there's no goddamn place to lift it from!

Van, how do you chain that bitch up? The hooks are way too large to hook on anything on the motor, and there's only the one decent looking spot next to the alternator. The shop manual shows a "wire rope" attached to hooks that simply don't exist on the motor... am I supposed to have some stupid metric screw in hooks or something?

I tried to use a strap looped over the intake manifold, but after putting some tension on it, I could hear the straps tearing since the sides of the manifold are sharp.

So seriously, WTF?

And why is it so impossible to find a single picture of a WRX motor being lifted out of a car? Google, ScoobyMods and NASIOC are all failing me. This is pissing me off.

100_Percent_Juice 2007-08-15 09:37 PM

I just saw a group of pics of people putting an engine in a wrx. I'll search for you since your such a noob.

100_Percent_Juice 2007-08-15 09:51 PM

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=engine+swap
There you go.

Kevin M 2007-08-15 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Scott, the NA motors I've done have had one loop on the back passenger side of the manifold, and the AC pump bracket on the other is meant to be used as a lift point. Also, I went down to the hardware store and bought 2 small clevices to attach to the rope hoist. Two lengths of 1/2" rope should be sufficient to lift the motor if you can't make chain work, or don't have any. In the two attached pics you can see the eyelet on the back, just above the ring gear on the passenger side, and the AC bracket next to the alternator. The EJ20 may not use these exact lift points, but I can say with certainty that your motor has 2 similar lift points... unless your AC delete removed the forward one.

Kevin M 2007-08-15 10:05 PM

This might help provide an answer too:

http://projectsti.net/images/enginer...20(Custom).JPG

Looks like the back/passenger lifting point is the intercooler bracket, which you have probably removed sometime since you went to the front mount.

Joeyy 2007-08-16 03:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We used a cable on the RS.

cody 2007-08-16 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 103665)

Just don't slit your wrist open like Nick (White Out) did. Yick.

MattR 2007-08-16 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 103676)
Just don't slit your wrist open like Nick (White Out) did. Yick.

Hahah. I love the reply "Quit being so Emo and finish the car"...:lol:

sperry 2007-08-16 08:19 AM

Thanks for the help folks.

I was able to figure it out enough to make it happen last night like 10 minutes after I posted.

The only other roadblock was that I had to take the clutch off the flywheel to get it to mount to the engine stand (not enough room between the stand's mounting screws and the flywheel). That was a PITA with the motor hanging from the lift.

sperry 2007-08-16 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that I'm finally out of that class, I can post this:

I'm pretty sure turbo's aren't supposed to look like that. :( I'm afraid of what I'm going to find when I crack the block...

MPREZIV 2007-08-16 04:41 PM

Holy bad...

Nick Koan 2007-08-16 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPREZIV (Post 103738)
Holy bad...

Yeah :eek: damn.

van 2007-08-16 04:56 PM

ouch....you gonna work on it sunday night?

wrxkidid 2007-08-16 04:57 PM

shitty air filter ftl?

sperry 2007-08-16 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidnappervan (Post 103759)
ouch....you gonna work on it sunday night?

I'll be in Monterey Sunday.

sperry 2007-08-16 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxkidid (Post 103763)
shitty air filter ftl?

Who knows. :(

ShawnS 2007-08-16 06:00 PM

Looks like you have a new cheese grater.

MattR 2007-08-16 06:28 PM

Damn , it looks like you sucked a child thru there.

Dean 2007-08-16 09:17 PM

That's the leading edge/input of the compressor side, right?

What the heck could have gotten in there? Did your cone filter fall off at some point?

sperry 2007-08-16 09:18 PM

I took the oil pan off... all sorts of little metal bits in there... I'm guessing rod bearing chunks, if not pieces of ring lands. I just hope the heads are okay. Once I get the timing gear off, I'll pull the heads.

Dean 2007-08-16 09:26 PM

I'm betting rings and maybe bits of piston.

Kevin M 2007-08-16 11:00 PM

How would reciprocating assembly bits find their way to the compressor side? :confused: Via blowby?

Dean 2007-08-16 11:08 PM

My bet is what failed in the block and is in the oil.

I have no idea what got sucked into the front of the compressor other than a nut or bolt of some form or a handful of gravel.

sperry 2007-08-17 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean (Post 103813)
My bet is what failed in the block and is in the oil.

I have no idea what got sucked into the front of the compressor other than a nut or bolt of some form or a handful of gravel.

There's video on YouTube of that handful of gravel. :P

But seriously, earlier this season my air filter was too close to the tire and would pop loose at full lock turning... I had to add a 45deg elbow to the end of the intake to get the filter clear. The damage may have been done at the 1st event of the season before I realized the problem and fixed it.

sperry 2007-08-17 07:59 AM

I'm stuck pulling the timing gears off the motor. Last time this happened, Cory and I tried to leave the timing belt on and yank the gear... but that didn't work and as the gear would slip the belt before the bolt came loose. And I'm having the same problem this time.

So, instead of getting out the chain wrench and destroying the timing gears (which won't be $30 like last time, since those AVCS gears have got to be *expensive*) I think I need to find the real-deal Subaru retainer wrenches.

Anyone know where to get 'em, hopefully w/o having to pay $200 for 'em or something? Cory or Jeremy, can you get 'em via your professional connections?