Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rifle Team 2009 (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7450)

ScottyS 2009-02-22 12:29 PM

Rifle Team 2009

3 Attachment(s)
OK, this year should be EPIC!

Actually, since I took over Match Directing duties for the Varmint Silhouette, I'm also promoting the matches to those who might be interested. I'm purely volunteering my time to organize it, as I think it is important to keep the shooting sports healthy.

Basically - the matches are run by the Palomino Valley Gun Club, using the Washoe County facilities (but on our "private" ranges) out Pyramid Lake Highway. I participate in the Military Rifle Silhouette and the Varmint Silhouette action, occasionaly in the High Power and Long Range matches.

Both of the Silhouette matches require only the most basic of equipment, and the Varmint lends itself well to inexpensive ammunition (very important these days).

Match fees are $15 per Adult, and $5 for Juniors. Juniors are welcome if a responsible adult is there to guide them - we actually had a shoot-off for the First Place Junior last Saturday, it was pretty cool.

The general course-of-fire descriptions for all the PVGC matches can be found here: http://palominovalleygunclub.homeste...criptions.html

However, feel free to ask about anything if you are interested. If you would like me to put you on my email list for Vamint info, let me know.

Here is the schedule for my Varmint Matches this year (all matches start at 8:30 as of right now, be there around 8:00):
Saturday March 14
Saturday April 25
Saturday June 27
Saturday Sept 12
Saturday Oct 24

Equipment - for Varmint, all you need is ear/eye protection, and a rifle with the ability to hit targets from the standing and sitting positions out to 200 yards. Rimfires are considered too light, but everything from a .22 Hornet up to .308 gets used on a regular basis. The ideal setup is a hunting-weight .223 or similar with a light optic, although it is perfectly possible to use open sights - I've done it a few times myself. No steel core rounds please, they tear up the steel silhouettes.....
Sometimes I (or someone else) has a spare rifle available for interested shooters to try a match with, as long as they pick up the ammo, I just need to know in advance.

Remember, these are not hard-core competitions, they are "fun" matches where we get to practice our rifle-handling skills and safety, test ourselves against the next guys, and the only prizes are ribbons and kudos. it is totally possible to win with the least-expensive rig out there, believe me....

Hope to see some new shooters this year!

ScottyS 2009-02-22 01:02 PM

Oh, first Military Rifle match of the season yesterday - huge turnout with like 30 people. I managed to win first after a shootoff, even though my score of 28 was not worthy. Everyone must be equally rusty after the winter break.....

FYI for the Varmint matches I am taking myself out of the running for ribbons, as being the MD I will have a certain advantage of being there every time.....

MattR 2009-02-22 01:10 PM

I told Carrie about your events, she'll probably check in here...

ScottyS 2009-02-23 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR (Post 128720)
I told Carrie about your events, she'll probably check in here...

Sweet, we need more girl representation for sure!

Kevin M 2009-02-23 03:17 PM

If you've got a spare rifle when I have a spare weekend, I'll come out and compete. :)

sperry 2009-02-23 03:19 PM

I'll come out just as soon as paint markers are allowed. (It's the only gun I have!)

NevadaSTi 2009-02-24 10:03 AM

Hmm, I certainly hope I can find a job, so I can come play!

I look pretty serious in that pic, lol.

ScottyS 2009-02-24 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaSTi (Post 128872)
Hmm, I certainly hope I can find a job, so I can come play!

I look pretty serious in that pic, lol.

Heck yah dude, if you're still in G-ville let me know if you want to carpool.

ScottyS 2009-04-20 11:15 AM

Remember, Varmint Silhouette this Saturday!

The Military Silhouette match last Saturday ended with me in 3rd with a 26, one point behind tied 27 scores. Myself and the 1st place shooter shot the chickens offhand, 2nd place did not. The first place shooter was in my squad, and he pulled ahead with a solid rail hit that still toppled a chicken.......boo. A little 8-15mph breeze kept things interesting.

20psiMR 2009-04-20 06:00 PM

Arf this saturday is Autocross but I will definitely be out next one. I have a M4 that I havent even shot in 6 months since Ive been up here ><

I normally coyote hunt, but they are mating right now so kinda bad juju.

ScottyS 2009-04-21 09:17 AM

Sweet, would love to see you out there!

ScottyS 2009-04-25 02:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Matt, you are going to have to get Carrie a new rifle.

Today's Varmint match was clearly a success! :cool:

Libila 2009-04-25 02:40 PM

I've always been interested in long range precision shooting but I've never had the chance to do it. I'm pretty handy with an M16, but that's not saying much :lol:

I'd like to come watch one of the events in May.

ScottyS 2009-04-25 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libila (Post 133036)
I've always been interested in long range precision shooting but I've never had the chance to do it. I'm pretty handy with an M16, but that's not saying much :lol:

I'd like to come watch one of the events in May.

The next Varmint match is in June, and these are not long range precision courses, they are about standing and sitting field marksmanship mostly. You and Kevin can come out and share one of my AR's. I'll even squad you guys together!

Now, if I get a LR version going like I want, then it will be rabbits at 500m!

MattR 2009-04-25 03:42 PM

Yeah, Carrie said she had a blast...She looks good with an AR-15 :lol:

Kevin M 2009-04-25 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyS (Post 133037)
The next Varmint match is in June, and these are not long range precision courses, they are about standing and sitting field marksmanship mostly. You and Kevin can come out and share one of my AR's. I'll even squad you guys together!

Now, if I get a LR version going like I want, then it will be rabbits at 500m!

At this point it looks like I can make it out. It'll be fun to finally shoot again. It's been damn near 10 years. :(

ScottyS 2009-05-05 12:51 PM

Went down to Sac over the weekend for a LR Tac match, all the rain made people vote to shoot the entire COF under the 1000yd cover, so it turned into a 50rd 1000yds practice session. I needed it, I guess. I got 8th out of 36.

The Cold Bore Shot was scored for the 7-ring in a "P.C." oval torso-sized target, which means a 10"x15" zone, roughly. I hit the 6-ring in the shoulder, good enough for me, but not enough to score points. Only like 4-5 people hit the target itself, I think only 2 made the score zone, so I felt pretty good about making a 1st-rd hit at 1000yds down at sea level....

NevadaSTi 2009-05-05 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyS (Post 133037)
rabbits at 500m!

OYE!! That should be interesting.

ScottyS 2009-05-07 12:03 PM

Brian, that 03A3 looks sweet.

ScottyS 2009-05-17 06:52 PM

Update: At the Military Rifle match on Saturday, I took 1st and Brian took 2nd or 3rd IIRC.

I'm working my way up the handicap ladder, shooting Pigs and Chickens offhand this time, and since I scored over 20 again, I qualify to shoot Turkeys offhand next time!

Yesterday was a bit tricky, as the wind came up as we started shooting, making the offhand stuff a rough deal. There were like 20 people participating, not as many as some days, but still enough to have a good time!

Brian brought a new rifle, a nice Springfield 03A3 in '06 of course. His rear sight had a broken retainer, and so he had to reset the peep every shot. In spite of this, he still placed! As soon as he has that thing running right, the SECCS Rifle Team will be unstoppable.

Domination continues!

20psiMR 2009-05-17 10:34 PM

I really need to come out, but my M4 really needs some love hehe. You guys would laugh at the creppy scope I have on right now, some BSA piece of junk off my pellet gun on a $200 larue mount, its sad hehe. Still shoots quarter groups at 200 yds though from prone!

wrxkidid 2009-05-17 10:46 PM

How much is an entry fee and what not? I haven't shot at targets in a long while, well long for my lifetime, and I would be interested in coming out if I could get a loaner from someone.

NevadaSTi 2009-05-18 07:48 AM

I landed a second place with a broken rear site retainer. =)

The fees for these shoots are reasonable, $15. Plus you have to factor in ammo. Other then that, it is an affordable way to have some fun and meet some great guys.

ScottyS 2009-06-02 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just shot my big match of the year, the NorCal Tactical Bolt Rifle Challenge. I shot in the previous 2 years as well, and this time the competition was really stepped up. They added 10 more slots to the roster (it's semi-invitational), and the total this time was 54 participants. Folks came from all over the west coast and and even a couple from the midwest and back east.

Two days, 180 rounds total, stages from 100 to 1000 yards. Highlights included a mover at 200, 300, and 500yds; 10-shots with holdovers only in 90sec from 150-550yds from an improvised position; weak side 3-position barricade; and 200yd "hostage" cold-bore shot with a 2"x1.5" hit zone.

I could have done better, it could also have been worse. I placed 17th overall, not where I wanted to be, but oh well. I did shoot second relay both days, meaning that I had the mid-day wind and mirage, but so did a few other guys who placed above me. I did shoot old-school with an M40A1, meaning .308Win, fixed internal 5-rd mag, and no bipod --- one of only 2 shooters that I know of who did not use a bipod. A couple of the tough stages I placed very high in, but in the end the 800, 900, and 1000yd lines were where I dropped the most points. Back to practice I guess.

Good news is, I beat 3 active-duty USMC snipers, a Secret-Service shooter, and plenty of locals who know that range well.

ScottyS 2009-08-06 12:01 PM

8 Attachment(s)
OK, so far the season has been great!

I also started shooting NRA High Power Silhouette, which is 200m Chickens, 300m Pigs, 385m Turkeys, and 500m Rams - ALL OFFHAND! You have to knock them over too, so no wussy guns. No wussy slings or jackets, either. It's probably the hardest game I'll ever play. First match I got 2nd after a shootoff at the Rams.

In Military Silhouette, I reached the max handicap of shooting the full COF offhand as well, and still got 2nd!

I should have the new steel for the Varmint match made up by the end of the month, so the Sept match will see all new targets!

Here are also some additional photos from the NorCal TBRC that a friend sent: