Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cleaning your headlamp lenses... (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7619)

Dewey 2009-04-14 11:23 AM

Cleaning your headlamp lenses...

In order to keep the Post SUM Pics thread on topic, I thought I would post this here for those of you who were asking about how to clean their headlamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody (Post 132214)
Buffer? What would you suggest?

I used toothpaste and my finger on a scratched CD years ago after I was told this would work but it only made the CD hazy and didn't remove any scratches.

A good buffer that you would use on your paint would be good. I use a Makita 9227C. It is one of the best buffers out there, but you need to know how to work one. A dual-action polisher probably wont work for this application. The pad will also make a big difference. I would use one of the tougher eggshell foam pads for something like this.

Also, if you do insist on using toothpaste make sure not to use one that you can easily feel the grit in. You want to use one like Colgate, something that is more like a paste than a rough sandpapery feel.

With all the technology available to us for removing pits/scratches in plastics, I wouldn't use toothpaste on a headlamp lens.

The Meguire's two step process works fairly well, and it doesn't require machine buffing. PlastiX is also a good bet.

If that still doesn't work go for a 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper. Work your way up in grit levels. Then finalize it with a plastic cleaner, then with a plastic polish.

Sooner or later, I will post a pictured tutorial on how to do this.. But, my headlamps aren't badly damaged yet.

-Chris

szucchet 2009-04-14 11:32 AM

you can help me clean mine out :D, then use my cleaning as an example for tutorial

sperry 2009-04-14 12:03 PM

This will be a great thread if you guys can put together some pictures and a bit of a how-to!

(moving thread to the tech forum)

cody 2009-04-14 02:43 PM

Thanks Dewey. I quickly hit them with some PlastiX and between that and the GE Nighthawks, my headlights aren't scary dim anymore. I do want to get the surface smoother though so I'm going to have to pick up some sandpaper. Any suggestion where to grab it? Do they sell it at Walmart?

100_Percent_Juice 2009-04-14 02:47 PM

Walmart has sand paper but I don't think they carry the extra fine stuff. Harbor freight goes down to 1200 grit. I think Kragen or an autoparts store would have the finest. Maybe Home Depot?

sperry 2009-04-14 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 132292)
Walmart has sand paper but I don't think they carry the extra fine stuff. Harbor freight goes down to 1200 grit. I think Kragen or an autoparts store would have the finest. Maybe Home Depot?

Kragen has a surprising amount of stuff like that, at least the Kragen next to the Walmart down on the south end of town.

cody 2009-04-14 03:12 PM

I've got a $4 HF gift card. I'll try that first. Thanks.

Dean 2009-04-14 03:24 PM

Make sure whatever you get in the higher grits is designed to be used wet!!! Paper backed 1000 for woodworking will fall apart!

100_Percent_Juice 2009-04-14 03:44 PM

The 1200 at Harbor Freight says wet on it. It always slides easier when its wet.

Dewey 2009-04-14 06:53 PM

In the past I have purchased mine from HF, Kragen, and Home Depot. Yes! You want to wet sand it, not dry sand. If you dry sand it will look really hazy and will be more of a mess than anything.

bigrobwoot 2009-04-14 07:28 PM

I'm really looking forward to that write-up, my headlights need a good cleaning

Dewey 2009-04-14 07:45 PM

I'll see what I can do to get one written up tomorrow. Weather pending.

Kevin M 2009-04-14 08:12 PM

The weather is going to impede your keyboard jockeying? :lol:

Dewey 2009-04-14 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin M (Post 132324)
The weather is going to impede your keyboard jockeying? :lol:

Lol no, not too much. It will impede my ability to go outside and clean my lenses.

DaveWRX 2009-04-14 09:18 PM

Wet sand with about 1000 grit sand paper. Then hit it with a buffer with plasctic cleaner. This will make the lense look clear now to add a nice protective finish buffer it with plastic polish. The polish and cleaner I used were made by 3M and I found them to work best. 3M can be found at Napa

Dewey 2009-04-14 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWRX (Post 132333)
Wet sand with about 1000 grit sand paper. Then hit it with a buffer with plasctic cleaner. This will make the lense look clear now to add a nice protective finish buffer it with plastic polish. The polish and cleaner I used were made by 3M and I found them to work best. 3M can be found at Napa

The plastic cleaner removes all the dirt and debris from the lens. The polish will make them clear . Polishes do the same thing as sand paper except on a very fine level compared to sand paper or a cutting compound. The polish is similar to using something like 3000 grit sandpaper.