Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Volunteer to help at the Reno Rally (Dec 2-4, 2005) (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3905)

left footed whooten 2005-12-01 10:25 AM

Some of these names/roads I recognize from my Forest Service map, but others I dont. Do they connect? I assume that these are on the west side of 395 of bordertown, no? If you know, please pass along.

MattR 2005-12-01 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left footed whooten
Some of these names/roads I recognize from my Forest Service map, but others I dont. Do they connect? I assume that these are on the west side of 395 of bordertown, no? If you know, please pass along.

No, those are all the Pyramid stages...No more stages in the Dog Valley/ Verdi Area.

MattR 2005-12-01 10:32 AM

OMG, those roads at Pyramid are going to be so rutted and trashed by the final stages! What a mess. So, Scott, are you taking my truck for the whole weekend now?

AtomicLabMonkey 2005-12-01 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
maybe they'll go back to plan A if/when they realize the road between BorderTown and BoomTown isn't under a foot of snow.

Haha, Nevada town names are funny.

JonnydaJibba 2005-12-01 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR
OMG, those roads at Pyramid are going to be so rutted and trashed by the final stages! What a mess. So, Scott, are you taking my truck for the whole weekend now?

I think he was gonna talk to you about that. You are probably talking about it right now actually. :lol:

It may be a long weekend.

ScottyS 2005-12-01 10:49 AM

Hmm, I guess I'll make sure to NOT go shooting out there this weekend...

sperry 2005-12-01 11:05 AM

Quote:

If you can spare it... I hoping we won't have to work the same stages on Sunday though.

Right now Jonny and I are scheduled to work the start of Nightengale and Purgatory Pass on Saturday, which is about 12 miles of gravel off the tar, so we'll need a truck. If we don't have to work the start of Nightengale on Sunday, we might not need it, but it certainly would make life easier.

...or if you postpone your tree shopping, I'm sure you can get assigned to the same group as us and drive the Titan yourself! In fact... why isn't Carrie working too? I though she was a rally fan... I'm guessing she's just not a standing-in-the-wet-and-cold-recording-times fan, eh? :lol:

MattR 2005-12-01 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
... I'm guessing she's just not a standing-in-the-wet-and-cold-recording-times fan, eh? :lol:

That pretty much sums it up right there...Like I said, with a little more advanced notice and some planning, we would have done it. Regardless, I have moved my tree trip to Sunday anyway due to the stage changes. You can have the truck all weekend if you need it, But I'd make sure the 4 of you split gas costs, because it costs like $50 to fill up. :cool:

sperry 2005-12-01 11:24 AM

Quote:

That pretty much sums it up right there...Like I said, with a little more advanced notice and some planning, we would have done it. Regardless, I have moved my tree trip to Sunday anyway due to the stage changes. You can have the truck all weekend if you need it, But I'd make sure the 4 of you split gas costs, because it costs like $50 to fill up. :cool:

You rock man, I'll make sure we return it clean and filled up! Thanks a ton!

JonnydaJibba 2005-12-02 11:31 AM

We'll treat her good. Er um Scott will because I won't be driving. Would I be allowed to take pictures of the event? Or because I'm volunteering is that no?

sperry 2005-12-02 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
We'll treat her good. Er um Scott will because I won't be driving. Would I be allowed to take pictures of the event? Or because I'm volunteering is that no?

I'm bringing both a still and video camera.... I'm not sure I'll be able to use 'em, but I gotta guess we'll have some down time to spectate a bit.

tysonK 2005-12-04 03:52 PM

You guys see any sweet jumps?

Bob Danger 2005-12-04 07:55 PM

Jonny and I where doing timeing at the start of stage 2, after that we watched a hair pin on stage 4. Unfortinatly the good jumps where in the middle of the stage 1.

Nick Koan 2005-12-04 09:09 PM

I worked start 1 and finish 3 and 5 yesterday, which was cool, but no good jumps.

Today was the start of 1 and finish of 4 (which, on todays schedule was the reverse of 1) and yeah, there were some sweet jumps on that road.

The stage roads were incredibly fast as I was doing about 50 mph on the access road in my car and was not even pushing it. The access road, according to the BLM volunteer I was talking to, was about the same grade as the stage roads. And yes, stage 1/4 was on the foothills of the mountain range and had lots of smoothed out washes that would drop and re-rise 10-20 feet in about 50 feet of road. Made for some good jumps (I only got to see one, and not everyone jumped).

All in all, I have to say it was fun.

Rally America sounds like they were impressed, and is very likely to keep the Reno event on their calendar when it becomes official.

JonnydaJibba 2005-12-05 07:23 AM

It was cool, too bad the rally was 100 miles away.

Nick Koan 2005-12-15 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scotty,

here is that map of the stages. Sounds like you know exactly where they were though.

JonnydaJibba 2005-12-16 10:32 AM

I have a few pictures and 2 videos I took, but I have no way to get the off of my camera and onto a computer yet.

JonnydaJibba 2006-10-31 11:13 AM

I posted in another thread but this is a better place.

I was speaking with some of the organizers for this years event and they said that they could use all the help they can get. They are looking to form a good local support base to be able to secure Reno as a spot each year. So sign up! It's a blast and the people are super cool. www.renorally.com

MattR 2006-10-31 11:20 AM

Sounds Cold.

JonnydaJibba 2006-10-31 11:21 AM

Oh yeah forgot about that. Last year was FRICKIN FREEZING. But it was tight.

Nick Koan 2006-10-31 11:45 AM

I was thinking about volunteering again. It was pretty fun. Colder then all hell, but fun.

Kevin M 2006-10-31 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nKoan
Colder then all hell

Well... yeah. :p I am interested. depends on what else is going on I suppose.

JonnydaJibba 2006-10-31 11:52 AM

Well last year it was held in October and it was cold as shit.

Nick Koan 2006-10-31 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
Well last year it was held in October and it was cold as shit.

Last year it was held Dec. 2-4 :p

Check the title of this very thread.

JonnydaJibba 2006-10-31 01:21 PM

Lies!

I dunno how I do it. I'm not on drugs. I'm not drunk. I'm kinda smart. Kinda.