Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   It only gets better, starting tomorrow... (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5352)

sperry 2006-12-21 08:33 AM

It only gets better, starting tomorrow...

...Today (Dec 21) is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. So, starting tomorrow days get longer and longer. :) Before long, it'll be spring... considering how cold it's been, spring can't come soon enough.

skimonkey30 2006-12-21 08:44 AM

fuck that I need it to snow :D

sti deede 2006-12-21 08:50 AM

We need more light and snow. :) I need to go sledding!

JonnydaJibba 2006-12-21 09:04 AM

Yeah more snow, more snow.

sperry 2006-12-21 09:13 AM

Here's an idea... FUCK SNOW.

Especially since I've got to drive over the pass for Christmas, and my SVX still doesn't have a working tranny. I'm not taking the truck, and the Saab is FWD... screw chaining up.

AtomicLabMonkey 2006-12-21 09:35 AM

Why no truck?

tysonK 2006-12-21 09:35 AM

I hope the Denver Airport is open Sunday, or I am f'd!

:(

JonnydaJibba 2006-12-21 09:44 AM

Snow is the shit.

Nick Koan 2006-12-21 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonK
I hope the Denver Airport is open Sunday, or I am f'd!

:(

They are pretty good there about snow, so as long as the blizzard dies down (which the forecast says should be today or tomorrow), you should be okay.

I've landed and taken off from Denver before there with a couple of inches of snow/ice on the tarmac and its really no problem. Its not like its a treadmill or something.

sperry 2006-12-21 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Why no truck?

I don't have the 4000 lbs of sand for the bed that would make it driveable. I tried to back that thing up my driveway that had about 1" of snow on it. I'd say the driveway has about a 1% grade... I got nothing but spun rear wheels. I had to put in in 4x4 to go 12 feet, and with a locked transfer case (versus the electronic LSD I'm used to in the Subarus), it gets all crazy when tires are slipping.

That big heavy truck with no weight over the rear would be far less safe over the pass in the snow in 4x4 mode than the Saab would be FWD w/ no chains. Ideally, I'd take the SVX w/ the snow tires on it... then I'd cruise right past the chain controls, and have plenty of low-stress snow driving.

MikeK 2006-12-21 10:05 AM

Sunset started getting later 2 weeks ago, which is all I care about since I am still asleep when the sun comes up :lol:

AtomicLabMonkey 2006-12-21 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sperry
I had to put in in 4x4 to go 12 feet, and with a locked transfer case (versus the electronic LSD I'm used to in the Subarus), it gets all crazy when tires are slipping.

:lol: That's real-man Detroit iron 4x4, son! Not some fancy-pants Soob-a-rew electronithingymajig.

Nick Koan 2006-12-21 11:00 AM

Its funny, there is a guy here at work that is firmly a 'big truck' guy. Has a Chevy Z71 currently, previously had F-1 million and 50, etc...

But he keeps a Forester around for when it snows :lol:

ScottyS 2006-12-21 12:26 PM

Those lifted big truck types always put some huge wide expensive useless tires on them too, mostly for our entertainment come snow season.

MPREZIV 2006-12-21 12:45 PM

Quote:

Here's an idea... FUCK SNOW.

+1 million... actually, it's not the snow itself, but the cold that comes with. Makes my hands hurt like a SOM-BITCH! Thus, since they're related, fuck the snow too!

Nick Koan 2006-12-21 01:08 PM

Man, I was supposed to drive over the pass tonight.

Just looked at the forecast. Looks like I'm taking a half-day and leaving in the next hour or so.

khail19 2006-12-21 02:44 PM

We looked online about an hour ago, and it was already dumping at Kingvale pretty good. You better leave now.

sperry 2006-12-21 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khail19
We looked online about an hour ago, and it was already dumping at Kingvale pretty good. You better leave now.

I think I saw him in his car about 10 seconds after that post was made.

Nick Koan 2006-12-21 07:28 PM

Yeah, still took me 5 hours to get to my parents (which is usually 2-2.5 hrs).

Normal driving to Truckee. Truckee to Donner Summit took 1.5 hrs, then was about 25mph driving all way to the Yuba Gap. From there it was only raining, so it was back to normal driving.

JC 2006-12-22 08:57 AM

Quote:

I don't have the 4000 lbs of sand for the bed that would make it driveable. I tried to back that thing up my driveway that had about 1" of snow on it. I'd say the driveway has about a 1% grade... I got nothing but spun rear wheels. I had to put in in 4x4 to go 12 feet, and with a locked transfer case (versus the electronic LSD I'm used to in the Subarus), it gets all crazy when tires are slipping.

That big heavy truck with no weight over the rear would be far less safe over the pass in the snow in 4x4 mode than the Saab would be FWD w/ no chains. Ideally, I'd take the SVX w/ the snow tires on it... then I'd cruise right past the chain controls, and have plenty of low-stress snow driving.

Our Tundra is pretty damn good in the snow. Having the added weight of the shell in the back probably helps. You might want to consider it.

sperry 2006-12-22 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
Our Tundra is pretty damn good in the snow. Having the added weight of the shell in the back probably helps. You might want to consider it.

Bricks are a lot cheaper... and much easier to store when I don't want the shell on there (which is pretty much always). :lol:

JC 2006-12-22 11:50 AM

Quote:

Bricks are a lot cheaper... and much easier to store when I don't want the shell on there (which is pretty much always). :lol:

Says the man who refuses to put bricks in the bed. lol What's wrong with a shell? Do you carry a lot of tall shit around?

sperry 2006-12-22 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC
Says the man who refuses to put bricks in the bed. lol What's wrong with a shell? Do you carry a lot of tall shit around?

The truck sucks compared to the SVX... assuming Cory and I ever figure out all the vibration issues since the 4.11 tranny swap...

But yeah, it's a huge PITA at the track to have a shell... pulling tires, fuel cans, tools, the jack, etc in and out of the bed would suck w/ a shell over it. Plus I've already got a nice el-cheapo bed box that's big enough for all the crap I need to keep dry.

Joeyy 2006-12-22 04:14 PM

Frame up some 2x6s front and back of your wheel wells. Run two more front to back like an H with two middles. Run up to Truckee, go to Mountain Hardware and pick up some sand that is pre bagged in like a tube shape. Pick up 6-10 of the sand bags and your Ford will handle 100 % better (no bricks needed). In a pinch, you can open up the sand bags and use it under your wheels on pack ice. You can't use bricks for that.

Or kitty litter in the big plastic jugs over your axle. I have moved big rigs with a little kitty litter under the drives. It's like magic.

sperry 2006-12-22 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeyy
Frame up some 2x6s front and back of your wheel wells. Run two more front to back like an H with two middles. Run up to Truckee, go to Mountain Hardware and pick up some sand that is pre bagged in like a tube shape. Pick up 6-10 of the sand bags and your Ford will handle 100 % better (no bricks needed). In a pinch, you can open up the sand bags and use it under your wheels on pack ice. You can't use bricks for that.

Or kitty litter in the big plastic jugs over your axle. I have moved big rigs with a little kitty litter under the drives. It's like magic.

That sounds like a lot of work... I'll just drive the Saab. If the Scandi's can get by, I'll do alright.