Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Oct. 7-8 Auto-X: I will need some help chairing? (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4995)

tysonK 2006-09-04 02:04 PM

Oct. 7-8 Auto-X: I will need some help chairing?

This is the last Auto-X of the season. I had planned on helping Dean run it. There was not a lot of interest during the meeting to jump on events to chair them. Since Dean is moving to Vegas at a undisclosed point in the future.

I don't really expect anyone to volunteer to help me run it. Unless you really want to. I know I will need some help in the actual set-up and all.

Dean, Scott : Can you guys give me those maps, books, etc?

If you have a great course element you'd like to see please post it up.

IBTyson's course design is ruining autocross.

Kevin M 2006-09-04 02:39 PM

I don't know what I'm doing, but I'll be glad to add to your labor pool.

Joeyy 2006-09-04 03:12 PM

I don't have a work schedule for October yet. I'm attempting to have at least the Friday that you would be setting up and testing the course off. I will help all I can. Just have less cones then Squaw, I'm still having CONE nightmares. :(

sperry 2006-09-04 05:41 PM

Ty, I can help you w/ some course design stuff, but I'm getting *hammered* at work, and it'll be peaking around early/mid Sept, so I won't be much help come the event weekend.

Bob Danger 2006-09-04 08:00 PM

I don't know what help I can be, but my services are available.

Nick Koan 2006-09-04 08:09 PM

You know I'll help you out, but again I don't know much about running the show.

MikeK 2006-09-04 09:03 PM

I will make sure I have the Friday off to be a course setup gimp, but I have too much to do with timing to be a co-chair (I am leaving Reno on the Sunday night for a week for work, so I want to do the standings straight after the runs finish each day).

I can definately help between now and the event with whatever you need though!

Dean 2006-09-04 10:22 PM

All my stuff is at home, and I am in LV. I'll try and grab it for lovelock. I will also look for the design book on-line.

If you go to Wed. meeting, yo ushould be able to find a voulenteer.

I'm really sorry to flake on you, but I just have no time with work, and moving prep, etc...

tysonK 2006-09-05 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean
I'm really sorry to flake on you, but I just have no time with work, and moving prep, etc...

It's ok man.

It's going to be tough for me to make the meeting this week with how busy I am at work, but I might have to go.

I'm sure if I put enough planning in it I can come with something worth driving.

2KsilvER25rS 2006-09-05 05:28 PM

Hey if you still need any people to help, Im down. Also, so who is anyone abel to come to the weekly meetings?

Kevin M 2006-09-05 05:50 PM

If you mean the SCCA meetings, they are the first wednesday every month (not weekly) at Austin's restaurant on South Virginia. All members and those interested in becoming members are welcome.

tysonK 2006-09-17 06:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok suckers, I had to get rollin with some course designs. These are few of the 12 or so designs I have tooled with. They are just little paint sketches CONCEPTS I did. I will be getting demensional stuff from Scott and still have to read more rulebook course design stuff. I consider these the tame courses. I will be having a 2 corner box of some sort on the course. Pat will obivously get to put in elements he wants at no objection from me. We will be working in earnest this week on design. I think my weak points are cones placement and slalom placement!

I think these course will be shorted after I get my map from Scott. Since I work near the airport I will have tons of time to go out and walk around. I may even take some afternoons to make parts of the course to trial weeks in advance. hmmm.

These are done in paint for painful reasons. But YOU can edit them and repost with your ideas. Not like I care what your ideas are.

I know the middle straight on the first course is too long!

I would also like to add a "spoon" curve into the mix.

sperry 2006-09-17 07:53 PM

Dude, that second course looks awesome! It'll be tough to get two cars on course w/ the late crossover and the way the 1st half come close to the second, but I bet some tweaking can fix that.

tysonK 2006-09-17 08:02 PM

In the second course the lower left hand "loop" is what I liked about it. I was thinking about flipping it over, so that's earlier in the course.

I know Pat's wants a big sweeper, that course does not lend to that but maybe some kind of hybird.

Nick Koan 2006-09-17 08:04 PM

Yeah, the second course is pretty sweet. Maybe flip it around so the loop happens sooner.

Joeyy 2006-09-18 03:38 AM

Brovo on the second course. I like the Pentegon in the lower left corner but can't see it fitting at Stead. Flipping it around may work. It's nice to see something done with the west end of the course. It always is a big sweeper (75%). I have some Fridays off next month and will be able to help set up the course and can fit in some more time before 1900 at the end of this month if you need anything.

zpeed 2006-09-18 07:06 AM

I like the 2nd design too. Anything I can do to help on Friday after 4pm? I have 100 more miles to complete the run-in period. So excided real auto-x in 3 years!!

JonnydaJibba 2006-09-18 09:27 AM

Oooh intriguing.

MikeK 2006-09-18 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made some slight modifications ...

Nick Koan 2006-09-18 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK
I made some slight modifications ...

Not fast enough. Why do you have that turn in there? To scub off speed before the finish?

sperry 2006-09-18 10:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Tyson, I think you'll be surprised at how long and narrow the tarmac actually is. Here are a few versions of the map I made.

The squares are about 25ft wide. The gray area is the "safety" boarder... basically the course can't go into the gray or it'll be too close to the edges of the area.

Dean 2006-09-18 12:08 PM

I like course 2 as well only backwards so the loop is earlier. You do have to remember to design for both days so you can run it backwards, or make the mods to run it backwards.

Also with Scott's layouts, remember the grey area can/should be used for grid all the way up to the edge to maximize course space.

Don't let JE convince you you need more cones. As long as you exit an element headed for the next, and there are necessary pointers, etc... it works much better to be open IMHO.

Scott and Matt did a great job on their course, and then I offered some suggestions on visual cues mostly after they were done. I think it was good to have fresh eyes look at it that hadn't seen it all through it's construction.

It is tougher to see what is missing if you alrady know where it goes.

Good job by the way.

tysonK 2006-09-18 01:23 PM

Scott thanks for the layout grids. I will work tonight to what kind ideas I get after taking the size of the space into account. It looks much more narrow from the top that's for sure. Pat and I will probably be haggling for elements when the space becomes an issue.

It looks like you can get away with 2 big elements before you start pushing the limits of the size. The octogan part I think would be pretty cool, lots of at the limit turning, a chance to blow your run will multiple apexi and a chance to get a good run.

Anyways we'll see.

MattR 2006-09-18 01:50 PM

The octagon would be like the quad-apex turn 8 and 9 section of the Autodromo Instanbul, and we all know how cool that is!

tysonK 2006-09-18 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattR
The octagon would be like the quad-apex turn 8 and 9 section of the Autodromo Instanbul, and we all know how cool that is!

you sir are correct. you could almost say that pat gave me the head's up to model a turn off that very sequence, and you'd probably be right.