Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras

Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras (https://www.seccs.org/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chat (https://www.seccs.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Cool Apps For PCs, Macs, Phones, whatever, not Games. (https://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8768)

Dean 2010-04-29 02:12 PM

Cool Apps For PCs, Macs, Phones, whatever, not Games.

This is kind of like the New Games thread, but for software/apps of all non-game flavors for PCs or phones or to ask for help finding an app to do something you need/want

Enough of us are geeks that we see stuff that does something cool most every day but may not think to share it.

I may keep a running list in this thread, but might get lazy and let you search.

Oh, please include links to the developer/publisher's web site if at all possible, not CNET or Downloads.com Don't make us go search for stuff.

Jeikun 2010-04-29 02:25 PM

I've been using istat menus for my mac. It's a pretty cool program, shows me my CPU usage, the programs pinging my CPU, memory, network, temps and fan speeds all on my top bar. Version 3 is apparently a paid version and I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade from version two or not though. It's pretty useful.

Dean 2010-04-29 02:28 PM

Input Director

Yesterday's find was Input Director, kind of a cross between a virtual KVM switch without the V and VNC.

My 10 year old IR wireless Keytronic keyboard with touchpad I have been using for my HTPC died and I did not want to pay $40 for a new one and needed something now. The old 15' USB extension and such was not going to cut it for long.

I also have a computer with a 17" LCD next to my couch and a wired 3/4 keyboard with touchpad.

I did not want to run full blown VNC as I did not want the CPU impact on the HTPC and did not need to see the video anyway, it is 50" across right in front of me, so I went searching for something to send Keyboard and Mouse input from one PC to another.

At first I found Synergy, which is a great multi-OS option, but does not work well on Vista or Windows 7's new security model and interacting with the pre-desktop environment. But one thread discussing how to sort of work around that led me to ID!

After installing the service on each machine, you set one as master and as many slaves as you want and then layout the displays like you would a single PC with multiple monitors.

When my mouse pointer hits the right edge of my couch computer's LCD, it jumps seamlessly to the left side of my HDTV! You could just as easily do this with a laptop, or if you have more than one computer and display in place of a KVM!

It also supports clipboard and file transfers. cut and paste text, files, whatever from one PC to another as if they were on one...

You can also set it up with hot keys to change screens if you don't like the mouse jumping displays.

Very cool, and did I mention FREE!!! Enjoy.

100_Percent_Juice 2010-04-29 02:28 PM

The Snipping Tool on windows7 is pretty cool.

EDIT:
An easy tool for taking a screen shot of anything on your computer and then saving it for later use. Works better than most of the other ones that I have tried.

Dean 2010-04-29 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 148596)

Why? What does it do? Description, links, how are you using it?

Dean 2010-04-29 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeikun (Post 148594)
I've been using istat menus for my mac. It's a pretty cool program, shows me my CPU usage, the programs pinging my CPU, memory, network, temps and fan speeds all on my top bar. Version 3 is apparently a paid version and I'm not sure if I'm going to upgrade from version two or not though. It's pretty useful.

So, kind of like Windows Task Manager? Links?

tysonK 2010-04-29 09:45 PM

The only thing I use my pc for is video management and fixing pictures

cody 2010-04-30 08:08 AM

I like Cobian Amanita for backups. It has all the features you'd want. The most impressive feature for me is the ability to use Volume Shadow Copy which makes it possible to backup open files. I run it on my file server at work to backup the network folders to an eSATA drive every night.

http://www.cobiansoft.com/

Off the top of my head, a quick list of the other free programs I like:

IMGBurn (Disc Burning SW)
Microsoft Security Essentials (AV)
Avast Home (AV) < I used to think it was the best but got two Trojans while running it so now I run MSE.
OpenOffice.org (Sun's free MS Office alternative)
Malware-Bytes (Malware Removal Tool)
Firefox (browser)
Utorrent (Bit Torrent Client)
Imagresize.exe (Powertoy from MS for XP to enable easy right-click batch resize of images)
VSO Image Resizer (Similar to Imageresize.exe for newer OS's)
PDFCreator (Print to PDF, etc.)
Foxit Reader (Alternative to Adobe Reader) <Watch out, installs the Ask browser tool bar. :unamused:
Clonezilla (Alternative to Ghost)
Seagate DiscWizard (Rebranded Acronis disc imaging SW)
gparted (Disc Partitioning boot disc)
Handbrake (Movie Ripping SW) <Never actually used it.
MPC-HC (Media Player that supports hardware acceleration)
VLC Player (Media Player that plays everything but no HWA)
Haali Media Splitter (Supposedly all you need to play every video with WMP or WMC in Windows 7) <So far, seems to be true
Tversity (Streaming audio/video to your PS3 or other media extender, HTPC, etc.) <Didn't have the best quality on my "G" network to my PS3 a year ago, haven't revisited it yet.

bigrobwoot 2010-04-30 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice (Post 148596)

EDIT:
An easy tool for taking a screen shot of anything on your computer and then saving it for later use. Works better than most of the other ones that I have tried.

Like the print screen key?

100_Percent_Juice 2010-04-30 09:31 AM

no Rob. Not like the print screen key.

cody 2010-04-30 10:33 AM

HotSwap!

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

For some stupid reason, MS OS's don't give you the "safely remove hardware" little green arrow for eSATA and SATA drives like they do for USB attached drives, despite the fact that SATA technology includes hotswapping as a feature, just like USB does.

This is a simple little app that allows you to easily hotswap SATA/eSATA drives from the majority of motherboards/eSATA cards that I've tried it with. It puts a red arrow in the clock tray that looks like the green arrow you're used to. You can use it to safely remove (and add) SATA and eSATA drives without shutting down the computer.

ScottyS 2010-04-30 12:52 PM

My fav phone app: http://www.precisionworkbench.com/

Actually, a really good everyday app for MS OS's is: Microsoft SyncToy

tysonK 2010-05-04 06:13 AM

wow I just put swype on my phone and I really can text input faster
This is a really cool program

This will be big

Nick Koan 2010-05-04 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tysonK (Post 148749)
wow I just put swype on my phone and I really can text input faster
This is a really cool program

This will be big

Is that the one where you can just swipe your fingers across the keyboard rather than touch type? I remember seeing it a while back and thinking it would be huge for touchscreen keyboards.

bigrobwoot 2010-05-04 10:33 AM

I always felt like learning to swipe the keys instead of typing would slow me down.

tysonK 2010-05-04 12:26 PM

Nick yes it is you can go to swype inc to see the videos

Rob it's absolutely intuitive