Old 2008-07-04, 10:14 PM   #1
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.
Default New: Project 22T

Update 2/25/13:

Well, as we all know, this is no longer a budget car, but at least it's still here!

Swapped the Revtronix-chipped EJ22T ECU to a Robtune-chipped EJ20G ECU (JDM Yo!) programmed by Rob from NASIOC over the weekend. It's a ~6-wire harness edit, with the addition of Rob's spark convertor module to run the Legacy ignition. When using a 92-94 N/A Legacy ECU case, it fits right into the stock location. The install took about an hour and was totally painless. It started right up and ran amazing from the get-go.

The Revtronix tune was never fully developed, and had some inconsistencies transitioning from part to full throttle. Rob's been monkeying with OBD1 Subaru code for so long with tuned 20G's that he really has his tunes dialed, and it shows. The car is OEM smooth in all gears and power ranges, I can only imagine what a TD05 and 550's must be like.

This was the last serious flaw with the car for DD status, and it's nice to have it figured out. At this point, I will probably go back to the stock 3.9 gearbox, clutch, and rear end.

Here are some recent photos (no, the car was not clean).

The mod list as it currently stands:

Engine

EJ22T long block refreshed with rings/bearings/hone (thanks Cory!)
JDM 440 injectors (tested 440cc and 444cc by Witchhunter) in stock rails
JECS MAF
Robtune EJ20G ECU and spark adapter
Cheap ball/spring MBC @ 16psi
Custom in-fender cone filter intake (made out of two AEM/generic intake parts)
'02 WRX TD-04 turbo
'06 WRX TMIC with stock BPV
STi coolant tank
Diamond Coil Pack
6ga ground wires to coil, alt, MAF, batt, and both strut tower points
New and re-routed hoses all around
STi engine mounts
Kartboy battery tie-down
3" catless bellmouth DP
OEM '05 STi catback, length and hangers modified

Suspension/Steering/Brakes

STi steering rack modified for GC chassis
Poly steering rack bushings
V.5 STi front hubs (ABS disabled)
GC8 suspension assembly, KYB AGX and Prodrive P1 springs
Poly RSB link bushings
'03 WRX wagon FSB
'03 WRX front brakes/brackets/rotors
'01 RS 16x7 six-spokes
225/45/16 Hankook Ventus

Drivetrain

'95 Impreza 1.8 5MT 4.11 transmission
Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear oil
OEM Cable clutch, pressure plate, flywheel
4.11 rear diff with LSD carrier swap

Interior

'03 WRX front seats
Canadian manual seat belts
JDM Momo early Legacy wheel
Momo shift knob
Rear poly shifter bushing
LC-1 Wideband AFR
Boost/Vac gauge
35% tint all-around
Lowered seat brackets
New windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Post
Feel free to add advice or comments on this.

Well, this week I came across a 1991 Legacy Sport Sedan that seems to have a good motor and needs some TLC. So, I'm going to start the project as see where it goes, goal being a reliable, sporty daily driver. On a budget of course.

The car as-is: 22T motor, 5MT transmission that sounds like a hand grenade when you add torque, LSD rear, stock interior, 6-spoke RS wheels.

I'm going to attack it on 3 fronts: Transmission; Exhaust; Upgrades.

Transmission: I really can't afford a 6mt swap or built RA tranny, especially not into a $1500 car. So, I think I will stick with another 5MT and not drive it into the ground. Since I'm not going to power this thing up too far, and I drive pretty conservatively, I think I can get away with an N/A tranny. Not sure on what models I am limited to yet or sources, still researching this one. Might even stick with a stockish clutch to protect the tranny as much as possible. I'm not a launcher.

Exhaust: simply due to age, I want to replace everything from the motor back. I will probably use: stock WRX manifold, stock WRX up-pipe, 3" downpipe, simple 3" straight all the way back, stock WRX, STi, or similar muffler. I figure this will be the lowest cost and also the most effective.

Upgrades: I want to make a bit more power and not stress anything. So, that means intercooler, modern turbo, and maybe a fuel pump or something. I will probably go with an '06 WRX TMIC and associated bits to make it fit. Not sure on the turbo yet, but I want the spool to be quick, I don't care too much about top end, probably just the ol' TD04. This in combo with the rest of the setup will hopefully be reliable and quick.

Misc. mods: As I go through the Legacy Central archives, I will probably do some little mods as I go.
I already took out the snorkel, it had a rodent hole in it anyhow.
It came with a red top Optima, so I'm good there.
It came with 6-spoke RS wheels, so I'm good there.
I added a little vacuum/boost gauge on the pillar.
I deleted a couple of heat shields, because they were broken and annoying. When things get serious I will wrap the downpipe.
Looking at the "coffee cup" mod (turbo silencer delete).
Will eventually put my spare set of WRX seats in.
Suspension will be upgraded as required and possible.

So, basically, I will start with the tranny and go from there. I will likely be asking some tech questions in regards to this.....

Yes, the thought of swapping the drivetrain into one of my much-better-looking wagons (cough cough) has occurred. At the same time, my LSi is really old and tired, and would need a full suspension/steering rebuild to be worthy, plus it is the newer, longer chassis and does not respond like an Impreza or 1st gen Legacy. The '98 Impreza is just too clean and smooth to take apart - it is the vehicle I want to delay wear and tear on, and I really like where it is right now, except for suspension.

Essentially, this project will give me some good mechanicin' experience, and offers fun rewards. I am purposefully leaving the body/interior alone in case a swap of some sort becomes attractive after I do the important stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6157 (Medium).JPG
Views:	155
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	4929  

Name:	DSCF6158 (Medium).JPG
Views:	150
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	4930