sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS View Post
Some questions:

1) On the hydraulic clutch (same as WRX), I was told there is some procedure for fixing the fork in place prior to pulling the tranny, otherwise PITA results upon reassembly. Anybody done this before? I might have to talk to Cory about this.
What Cory said. The fork gets disengaged from the throw-out bearing and the motor/tranny can get separated.

Quote:
2) The WRX up-pipe has a cat in it, plus a sensor - is this an EGT sensor or something, and would I want to use it?
The sensor in the WRX up-pipe is an EGT sensor. You don't want to use it unless the Leggy ECU has an input for it that it needs. Even then, you can ditch that EGT and replace it with some resistors to prevent a CEL (at least on a WRX) as the EGT is only used for emissions to know when the up-pipe cat is at temperature.

Quote:
3) Will the catted WRX up-pipe provide less airflow and generate more heat than the open stock up-pipe? If so, I may just pull the trashed heat-shields on the stock one, wrap it in that heat-tape, and put it back on. Comments?
As long as the stock up-pipe is of similar size, and is in decent condition, I'd use it rather than a catted WRX pipe. Or you could go all banzai on the WRX UP and drill out the cat... just try to avoid getting cancer while doing so. Either way, the less restriction and the less chance of something blowing through the turbo, the better.

Quote:
4) There seems to be a lot of oil blow-by in the various vacuum/crankcase hoses coming back to the intake side, is that bad?
Sounds like the compression on the motor may be down. If you've got the time and money, it might be prudent to pull the motor apart, hone the cylinders, slap on some new rings, and do the head gaskets while you're at it. The 22T block is a terrific block, but even it wears out with mileage. Get the compression and leak-down checked to at least see where you're at.

Or alternatively, a proper pair of catch cans will help keep the intake clean even with the blow-by of loose rings... allowing you to run the motor cleanly without spending the cash on a rebuild.