Old 2008-07-21, 09:51 AM   #20
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
Cable <<< hydro for clutch setup. All you have to switch from where you are now is to go back to the hydro pedal box and change the slave cylinder, and possibly the clutch fork. It would then be the easy setup for pulling/installing the gearbox in the future.
In order for hydro system to work with the transmission I got from you, the slave cylinder would need to be reversed in direction from the old setup. Because I literally have no idea if that type of setup exists, I don't know if the brackets, cylinder travel, alignment, forces, etc would even work with the setup. Perhaps it does exist, but I don't have a diagram or layout showing all the small parts needed.

I want this to be factory reliable first, the exact system used does not matter since it ain't a race car. I'm planning on retaining the hydro bits, in case I get ambitious down the road and need the extra heavy duty capacity.

At this point, because I don't even know if just changing the tranny, exhaust, and turbo will solve the problems, I would prefer just to get it to the point where I can drive the sucker. This is taking so long because I am getting the complete education on the procedure and small parts as I go. If I had all the pieces in place, this would have been done days ago and I could go on with evaluating the motor condition.

Really, pulling the tranny was a pretty simple deal, it's the unfamiliarity and small pieces that's killing me now......doing a tranny swap with no system modifications or changes would be super simple in the future. I say this of course before knowing if it runs once bolted together....