View Single Post
Old 2004-02-24, 11:40 AM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Before this discussion gets too far ahead of itself, like parts of the brake discussion, let's keep something in mind for all responses- almost all of us here drive our cars first, and race them second.

That factor is the point of view I look at sway bars from- Austin mentioned using sway bars to run the highest spring rates possible without affecting tire compliance. I say, sway bars are for using the highest spring rates we're willing to put up withon a daily basis, and then reducing as much body roll as we can without reverting to twin live axle suspension. My spring rates are something like 225# front, 185# rear, with 19mm front and 20mm rear sways (that would be similar to 20mm front and 21mm rear in a heavier WRX chassis). I'm also switching to a Whiteline 20-24mm RSB before race season starts, but I'll start with it at 22. Might go to 24 if I get brave. I couldn't ask for a better stup for real-world corner carving. The ride is firm, but never harsh or jarring, and the faster you go in it, the more solid and connected to the road the car feels. No surprise considering it was developed by Prodrive, then spec'd to some of the best manufacturers in the biz, Eibach and Bilstein.