Old 2009-04-06, 10:06 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Scott, Ed and his two mechanics were at my place this weekend and I asked them for their opinion on this. Ed said you should just run a Hallman MBC and I let him know you already were but wanted the Hydra to control it. He reiterated that he'd just run the Hallman since the Hydra sucks at controlling boost. He said if you really want to burn the money, you could also run a standalone EBC. He mentioned a brand like AZX or something...I can't recall. But they're like $4-$500.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll still try to using a solenoid controlled by the Hydra. Adam suggested that he had heard that the newest Hydra is better for controlling boost...not sure if you can upgrade firmware or anything.
Actually, I'm in no rush to go to electronic boost control, aside from the cool things you can do with backup maps, anti-lag, etc. But like you said, you need the 2.6 Nemesis version for multiple boost maps... which is a hardware upgrade, not just software.

MikeW at GST recommended the MBC for the Hydra, since tuning boost on the Hydra is known to be a chore. But ultimately, going back to an EBC should be more versatile... the only question is whether or not the work in getting it to run properly is going to be worth it. For a track car, probably not, but a $100 BCS is pretty cheap and it's easy to leave the MBC in the car and swap between the two. And since I've already got a standalone ECU, I can just play with it at will.