View Single Post
Old 2010-06-11, 06:07 PM   #114
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
Since you and Rob have decided to join in, why don't you guys share your own beliefs. Clearly there is something in the bible that you found that didn't make sense and turned you away 30 years ago.
I am a devout born-again atheist (90+%). An ironic thing is the first event I remember that started me disavowing my faith was something my pastor told me whilst discussing my own request to be baptized at age 14. I had never been baptized as an infant. He basically told me I couldn't get to Heaven without being baptized. Now this is up for interpretation (and there are sects that believe this), but coming from him that was a strong statement. I went through with the baptism in my 3-piece suit in front of the whole congregation at 14. But I was on the way out already. The idea that some petty arbitrary procedure like that could eternally condemn someone despite all else they had done good and righteous - it didn't make sense. God sounded like an asshole to me. I mean he/it create these imperfect human fuck-ups and gave them free will, knowing full well we are fuck-ups, and knowing full well it will end badly, and then he banishes us to eternal damnation for such petty bullshit. It's kinda like throwing a puppy in the fireplace for peeing on the carpet. This is not my definitive reason for my lack of faith and my contempt for religion, but it is an example and one of many many reasons I cannot and will not go into in this thread. I already regret most of the keystrokes I've wasted here.