Old 2010-06-25, 06:25 AM   #169
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
I think some of you may be getting a little confused with the issue at hand. Darwin talked about 2 kinds of evolution, micro-evolution and macro-evolution. Micro-evolution is refering to small changes in a species like the different variations of birds or types of dog or black, white, mexican, and asian people etc. This theory does not conflict with the bible. Genesis 1:25 says that God made them each one "according to its kind". The ability to change is built into the DNA of each kind of creature.

Macro-evolution is his theory that all life came from a common ancestor. Honest science does not back this up as of today. They are still searching for the "missing link" or fossils of a creature that appear to be in that transition phase or half-evolved into something else. There are over 7 billion people on earth today. Living every type of lifestyle and in almost every climate. Why have we not seen (at least to my knowledge) any examples of humans evolving into something other than human? Wings, gills, scales, another set of arms or legs? If you take into account the number of different living creatures and how diverse they are, we should be seeing evolution popping up all over the place. Shouldn't we?
Well, I'd say Kevin gave some good examples of micro evolution.

As for macro-evolution: according to HighDesertSuby, it takes a very specific set of events in order to create fossils. Due to his expertise in the area, I'll take his word for it. If that's true, then it isn't unreasonable that there aren't fossils of a "missing link".

I'd also say that 10,000ish years isn't enough for us to have evolved into something different. We are significantly different from cro-magnon man. Our brow is smaller, our faces aren't as sloped, our backs aren't as hunched, we're taller and we live longer. These things can be filed under micro-evolution, IMO. Over time, more than tens of thousands of years, closer to millions, those small changes turn into big changes, and micro-evolution becomes macro-evolution.

Other examples of micro-evolution in people, due to environmental differences, are that Asian people are usually shorter than white people, white people have fair skin from lack of a need of pigment, black people have that extra calf muscle (kidding), native Americans have slower metabolisms due to the difficulty of finding food way back when and their lack of industrialization until we forced them to, etc.

Maybe the mutations that people have are small things on their way to larger things. Since we have absolutely no idea what the next step of evolution is, we don't know what to look for. If the next step is that people will become 10-foot-tall giants, look to centers in the NBA as proof towards that. If our future is to be 300-lb, gorilla-like monsters, look at people with myostatin deficiencies. And so on. I'd also suggest that if anyone did develop gills or wings in the past, they were killed off due to lack of survival skills, since those things wouldn't have been fully developed. People with wing-hands wouldn't be able to grip anything, which is key to human survival. People with partial gills would have problems breathing, and would be left behind.

Another suggestion I would make is that our natural aversion of the "abnormal" is an evolutionary trait developed to pass on only the best genetics. As mean as it is, what is your knee-jerk reaction when you see someone with a deformity? Before all of the PC issues of recent history, I'm sure it would have been near impossible for them to find a mate.