Old 2011-11-11, 10:32 AM   #24
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I think for the first 4/32 or so go faster on snows than AS. A good AS will also typically have better handling in the dry and wet.
The dry handling of the Dunlops is pretty good though. Much better than the non-sporty snow tires, and easily as good as most all-seasons. But that's why they're "sportscar snow tires" that come in low-profile sizes for Porsches and Vettes. The intent is to have a way to drive your AWD 911 year-around and still have it feel like a 911.

The down-side of course is that the snow/ice performance is compromised... which, on a Subaru and in Reno, isn't a big deal because Subaru's AWD is so capable and Reno really gets very little actual snow/ice on the roads. So, unless you're driving a non-sporty car, or taking lots of trips into the mountains, I would recommend trading ultimate snow/ice performance for something that's better in the dry... which might be a good all-season (which is what I did for my wife's Outback), or if you're running dedicated summer tires you can get by with something like the wintersports which will be even better in the snow than an all-season while still having decent dry performance in the cold (which is what I'll do again once my WS70's are spent).