Old 2012-08-04, 10:38 AM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pirate View Post
Is it expensive yes, do I think what Lithia wants to charge is crazy- yes. I have no control over what we charge. The new immobilizer system rolled out with the new 2013 impreza will let the owner program there own keys but that is not what we are talking about. Yes the SSM 1 and 2 were created many years ago but the current generation SSM3 was created only back in 2007 and is much more inclusive. I believe though this is only my opinion that we charge what we charge to recoup the cost of buying, maintaining and updating our equipment. Is the cost really out there-yes but that is the way this industry is going, not a lot you can do to stop it.
I call bullshit.

Try reading the other forums about remote start installs. Most dealership charge around $30 to program a key and don't care if it's aftermarket or not.

A passive transponder is never going to damage the vehicle's immobalizer... that would be like typing the wrong phone number into your phone and breaking AT&T. And if you haven't paid off your SM3 by now, after 6 years of charging $150 for key programming, then someone over there is embezzling from the service department or something.

As far as doing something to stop the over charging, there's plenty I can do. First, I'm not paying Lithia a dime. Second, I'm bitching about it here... which doesn't help me, but now anyone that wants a factory key programmed can read that it's 1/3 the cost in Carson. Third, for me, I paid $9 to get a key box so I can use my remote start until the next time I'm down in Sacramento. There are dealerships that will charge reasonable rates... Lithia doesnt have a cornered market.

Finally, your attitude in these posts is basically on par with the rest of the folks at Lithia. You're not earning anyone's business coming in here telling me I'm wrong for being offended by your admittedly ridiculous prices. You want to help people? Start by sympathizing instead of admonishing.