View Single Post
Old 2005-09-13, 09:14 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

The easiest way IMO is to go by Subaru parts and get the bearings and seals, tell 'em you're picking it up for a shop that's going to do the work, and a lot of the time they'll give you the jobber price and save you some cash.

Here are the parts you'll need to do the front bearings on a WRX:

(Qty 2) 28015AA070 Oil Seal - Front Axle, Outer
(Qty 2) 28015AA021 Oil Seal - Front Axle, Inner
(Qty 2) 28016AA011NT Bearing - Front Axle
(Qty 2) 28044AA000 Nut - Axle
(Qty 2) 28035AA010 Snap Ring F (can get by without 'em)

Should be about $150 from Subaru if you get the jobber prices. You'll probably need different part numbers for a '96... but these P/Ns might be a starting point for figuring out what you need.

Then jack the front of the car up and take the axel nuts off, to release the front half-shafts from the hub. Then disassemble the rest of the bits that attach to the front knuckles. Make sure to mark the steering tie-rods and camber bolts so you don't screw up the alignment when you re-assemble everything later. Detailed instructions for the WRX are here: http://www.seccs.org/tech The procedure will be very similar for the '96.

Once you've got two disassembled knuckles and a box of bearing parts. Pick up some decent grease, since the bearings from Subaru are only packed in shipping grease. I use Redline CV grease available at Summit. It's pretty good synthetic grease for the price. Bring the knuckles, parts and grease to a machine shop. I brought mine to Aims over in Sparks. They charged me only 1 hour labor to press out the old bearings, pack the new bearings w/ the supplied grease, and reassemble.... about $65.

Once you get the parts back, re-install them on the car, taking care that the alignment is stays true, and making sure to torque everything to spec. And you should have a new set of bearings installed for about $200, give or take (hopefully the '96 parts are cheaper than the WRX bits). I believe Lithia quoted me like $900 to do that job.

The one thing to make sure of before you start tearing the car apart: call the machine shop and make sure they're not too busy to do the bearing swap, and make sure you've got a ride there, since you're car won't work very well with the front knuckles removed.

Here's the contact info for Aims if you want to give them a shot:

Aims Machine Shop Inc
(775) 359-8866
1575 Glendale Ave
Sparks, NV 89431