View Single Post
Old 2005-10-09, 11:49 AM   #1
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."
Default Need suspension upgrade advice

Ok, so I've spent countless hours scouring "teh intarweb" for possible suspension setups for my '05 RS. I've browsed all of the reputable online retailers and searched SECCS, RS25, and NASIOC. Here's what I've come up with in the way of options, and I have a few final questions for you experienced folk.

To start, here are my major stipulations: First off, I'm more concerned about ride height adjustability than damping adjustmet. Both would be nice, but the former is my "must have" so I can crank my height back up to stock-level in the winter snow. I also want to maintain a decent ride comfort, but I expect to encounter a bit of harshness. The furthest I really expect to drive is Derby field for auto-x or San Fran perhaps twice a year, so long trips aren't really an issue. Finally, I'm obviously doing this for reduced body roll and better cornering performance, with an added bonus being the visual improvement a height drop would provide. In all, my key focus is a balance between comfort, performance, and adjustability, without spending way too much.

Option 1: Ground Control coil-over sleeve kit (with Eibach springs) on KYB GR2 Struts. About $700. This will give me ride-height adjustment, no damping adjustment. Pretty much my basic option.

Option 2: Ground Control coil-over sleeve kit on KYB AGX struts. About $900. Same ride-height adjustment with the Ground Controls, but the shocks give me a damping adjustment option for compression and rebound (combined).

Option 3: JIC SF-1 Coil-overs. About $1500. These are entry-level coil-overs, with adjustable ride height, but no damping adjustment. They include camber-adjustable front top mounts. This is really something I'll only consider if someone can give me a damn good reason I should spend an extra $600 over Option 2 just to lose my damping adjustment.

Option 4: TEIN Flex Type coil-overs. About $1600. Added on Scott's recommendation. Separate height and pre-load adjustment, and combined compression/rebound adjustment. Camber-adjustable top mounts. EDFC compatible in case I ever feel the need to be able to adjust my damping from the driver's seat.

I need feedback from anyone willing to share it, before I go and drop a grand or more on this. I'd greatly appreciate any alternative options or suggestions, advice on possible compatibility conflicts that I may not be aware of, and opinions on what will give the best bang/buck ratio on a daily driver that will see semi-frequent autocross/track days. Feel free to warn me of any other parts, options, or costs I may need to consider for proper installation, as well.

Last edited by M3n2c3; 2005-10-09 at 01:31 PM.
M3n2c3 is offline   Reply With Quote