View Single Post
Old 2003-08-11, 09:01 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Well, i guess before we got there somone rolled down near turn 1. We didn't see that one.

Gary's incident was with the #49 Civic driven by Neil Vanni. Neil was leading the race (and there's some controversy about that too... something about passing under a full course yellow).

Gary was right on Neil's tail when they ran up on a lapper Miata that was running slow. Neil had to check up and Gary went to pass on the inside of a left hander. Neil moved left, either to block or to avoid the miata, or because he didn't see Gary, or who knows why, but he came over and they made contact, Gary's RF fender into Neil's LF fender.

Neil went sideways and the both went off course. When Neil hit the dirt sideways the car rolled.. bad.... I'd guess like 9 times, one hell of a ride. Gary was able to get back on course after only losing his bumper to the dirt.

Gary was able to finish out the race and take 2nd. Neil was able to get out of the car under his own power, and seemed not to worse for wear considing the severity of the wreck.... his car is pretty much done now tho.