View Single Post
Old 2005-11-08, 03:25 PM   #6
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Nothing about the Dunlop Wintersport M2/3's? The SVX was unstoppable with a set of 225/50/16 M3's during last year's snow. Plus the dry/wet handling is on par with most all seasons (and better than RE92's IMO). They're also fairly quiet in the dry as well. I'd go so far as to call them "3 season tires", with summer being the out season.
Actually, it is the Wintersport M2s, and the Perelli SnowSports that were slightly worse than the old Blizzak LM-22s back in 2000.

Again, I am doing some interpretation, and extrapolation, but from what I can tell, those tires are significantly worse than the current batch, and would probably be rated a only "good" today compared to the "excelent" ratings on the new ones. The Dunlop Graspic DS-2s were included in the most recent TR test and got crushed by the 3 newer tires, but the Dunlops got numbers very similar to the M2s, and LM-22s did back in 2000.

These next gen snows are using some very interesting compounds in the first 45% or so of the tread depth from what I read, as well as some interesting tread designs and constructions, but they are paying the price in wet and dry performance.

Again, I did this to search for the best dang ice/snow tire without consideration for dry/wet performance. These are not likely to be the best bet for people who drive a lot of miles on dry/wet pavement. they will likely want something that is slightly more of a compromise.

Last edited by Dean; 2005-11-08 at 03:28 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote