sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
OK, I didn't get that from

In my mind, a 2.5l is a different type to some extent. I can read it your way now. What is a "type"? are all V-motors, 6 or 8 the same type? Are 2 rotors and 3 rotors the same type? I can see "layout" being horizontally opposed vs. V-n, vs. straight, vs. rotary, but am I right, or is limited to rotary vs. piston vs. turbine?

Oh, and in SM, an you own a Mazda, you can swap from rottary to pistons legally, it doesn't sound like you can in TT without the "swap" modifier... Bad analogy maybe?

And since there is no modifier for Turbines, can I run one? OK, the last was a joke, but the rest wasn't
So, I went from a horizontally opposed 4-cylinder 4-stroke gasoline fueled internal combustion motor manufactured by the Subaru brand of Fuji Heavy Industries to a... horizontally opposed 4-cylinder 4-stroke gasoline fueled internal combustion motor manufactured by the Subaru brand of Fuji Heavy Industries . The type (gasoline, 4-stroke, internal combustion) never changed, the layout (flat 4), nor the manufacturer (Subaru/FHI) changed.

In fact, the *only* thing that isn't from a 2002 WRX is the short block, water pump and oil pump. If I had bored/stroked my 2.0 to 2.5 it would be the motor in my car, at least as far as the rules are concerned.

The swap modifier is to pick up those people that drop a 500 hp chevy small block in a 2000 lb datsun. Or a Cosworth 1.6L 1960's F1 motor in a TVR.

If you'd like to put a kerosene jet turbine in your car, go ahead, it's a 1.0 modifier... which is less than forced induction (. + altered boost (.4)... you may be on to something.

Edit: and to clarify... any "swapped" motor that doesn't quality for the TT modifier would be legal in SM, the converse is *not* true. Putting an SVX motor in an Impreza is a layout change... same with dropping a rotory into a Miata. This may require clarification in the rules... but the basic intent of the rules is to allow people to do "swaps" if they are simply easier methods for doing already legal modifications. I can do cams, heads, boring, stroking, etc to my motor, so why can't I just save some money and drop in a fully built motor that's the same as my motor would be after all that work. Make sense?

Last edited by sperry; 2006-02-07 at 05:08 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote