Old 2006-02-14, 11:37 PM   #25
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Two questions: Do drivers get to choose between curb weight and actual weight, and does the interior mod penalty still apply if we use actual weight? At ~2500 pounds race weight (2300 curb, 170 driver, plus whatever my hardtop and rollbar weigh, minus a few miscellaneous pounds from mods) with no stripped interior penalty, I move down to TT-6, and I don't expect that to be very fair.

Edit: Actually, even with the penalty, at 2500 pounds actual weight, I'm in TT-6. I imagine many of the '99+ Miatas would be as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Rules
Weight Modifier Calculations:
For use with the weight modifiers, two methods are available for weight calculations. The manufacturer’s specified curb weight of the vehicle may be used, cars without complete factory interiors (this includes seat swaps, but not the removal of spare tires, tools, trunk liners, or other trim not within the passenger compartment) will subtract 200 pounds from their curb weight for calculation purposes. Or, the car may be weighed in race trim, with driver, in order to use the actual vehicle weight. Weighed cars will have their weight signed off in their log book by an SCCA tech inspector, in order to prevent having to re-weigh the vehicle at every event. It is the driver’s responsibility to maintain the weight of the vehicle at the signed off weight (+/- 10 lbs), or re-weigh the vehicle if the weight is changed.
You get to pick between curb weight (with the interior penalty) or actual race weight as determined by the scales as you come off course.

The addition of the actual weight option was not my idea, and I'm a little scared of applying it because I don't know what kind of weights most cars are racing at, and all the weight modifiers are based solely on my curb weight research. The option was added because some people complained that they think the -200 lbs penalty for something like a race seat is unfair, especially if they've added a cage.

I'm just guessing that once people actually weigh their cars, they're going to find out they're a little lighter than they thought they'd be, considering the lighter wheels, exhausts, syspensions, etc. they tend to run. I know my car, with driver was exactly 3000 lbs, the last time I weighed it, and that includes the heavier STI tranny in there.

Perhaps we need to add a +100 assistance to cars with cages or something and drop the use of the scales.