Old 2003-11-25, 02:44 AM   #19
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy
Oh crap, you're trying to access 15+ year old memories, since I sold it in like '84 or '85 (let's see, do I keep the kids or the "fun" car?).

As to fitting in it, I'm 6'1" and it I didn't have to put the seat all the way back, so it's fairly roomy.

As I recall, the shifters are naturally a little "sloppy", so I wouldn't be too worried if it seems a little loose. It shouldn't be hard to find the correct gear as you up/downshift though. There shouldn't be any grinding (as you already know, I'm sure).

I don't remember any real problem areas, leak-wise. Check the boots on the transaxles. I remember having to replace them and repack the CV joints a couple of times. Now that you've brought it up, I may start remembering things, so I'll post back with anything I can think of. Since I've been out of it for a while, I'd wonder about parts availability on cars that have been out of production for so long, but perhaps since there's still a lot of them around, it's not a problem.

You may find some info here. This is the club I belonged to, but of course they didn't have the website back then:

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_area.asp?id=6
Sweet man, thanks for the info. One of the reasons I wanted a 914 so bad is that they are know for their interoir room, considering the small size of the car. I should fit fine, especially once I get a racing shell in there.

I read that on a lot of 914's it's normal to grind a little going into 1st... it's usually not a big deal since a lot of the shifter linkage parts are plastic, they tend to wear quickly. There are brass replacement parts out there to fix that for good. It's when the car grinds into second that there might be an issue... usually it's the clutch going... 'cept the car I'm looking at had it's clutch replaced profesionally within the last 5 years, or so I'm told.

Once I get the car, I may have to bring it to a meet and require you to show up so I might jog your memory and pick your brain. Right now all I got going for me is what I can read on the web, and whatever crossover there is between Subaru EJ20's and the 914 motor... which isn't much more than "they're both boxer 4's".

Which reminds me, anyone know of a Sacramento area mechanic that might be willing to check out the 914 this weekend? I figure I'll take a look at the car, and get some pictures on Wednesday, then post 'em from my parent's house so I can get you guys to help me decide if the car's mechanically sound. Then I'll make the decision on Friday or Saturday. It'd be nice to get a compression test and have a Porsche mechanic take a look at the car to see if it's got any common issues I should be aware of.