View Single Post
Old 2007-05-21, 09:03 AM   #35
GST Mike
EJ22

Car: Zee L

Load, Efficiency, MAP etc etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
When I get into the office on Monday, I'll check my calendar and figure out when I can get it down there. I'd really like to get some more time on the dyno and that 100 octane map.

Here are my notes from the event:

- When the car was cool, it pulled like a freight train. Real nice power, really early torque. None of that goofy hesitation at 4k rpm, no oil issues, great response... at least compared to the previous issues on the last motor.
- During session 1, on the street tires, the car ran cool (oil temp maxed at 245, ETGs to 1600), car felt great. Boost maxed at 1.25 bar.
- During session 2, switched to the race tires, car got a little hot (ambient was over 80 deg F, oil temps to 255, EGTs to 1650), car felt like it was dropping off a little on power towards the end of the session. Boost never above 1.25 bar.
- Session 3, the race, car was great at the start of the session (I ran my fastest lap in traffic), but by the end of the session I was down on power and running hot. With a clean track, I couldn't catch my time earlier in the session. The tell tales on the gauges showed an overboost to 1.5 bar, and 1800F EGTs. I'm not sure when it happened, as I was watching the boost gauge down all the straights... it may have happened climbing the hill or something. I know the boost would nudge over 1.2 bar (where my warning was set) in 4th gear exiting onto the straights but I never saw it ramp up more than the 1.25 that the peaks were at in the 1st two sessions. Oil temps were also a little high, getting to about 260.
- I was having a hard time starting the car as well. Cold starts required leaning on the gas a touch while cranking so when it fired it wouldn't die immediately. Host starts were even worse, where it would catch and turn once or twice, then die in a nice loud back-fire. It seemed like only trying a bunch of times would get it to start... no throttle tricks worked to get it to fire and stay lit.

I'm a little worried about the heat. It was only a little over 80F yesterday and when I really started driving the car, it was getting a little too hot for my taste (the high EGTs are worrisome... but that may be due to the high boost). I was running a little over 4 gallons of 100 octane mixed with fresh 91, so I don't think there was any detonation... at least I never noticed the timing getting pulled, or heard any knocking. I'm thinking of re-routing my wiper sprayer to the intercooler/oil cooler so I can hit it with some water down the straights to get things cooled off.
Good info Scott!

Nothing that overally concerns me given the fact that I know I have about 3-4 hours more time to invest in the pump tune for you let alone the race gas tune.

The starting issues are an easy fix given a little time and a battery that holds a charge . For now when it's giving you a hard time try holding the loud peddle to the floor when you key on prior to cranking.

Mike
GST Mike is offline   Reply With Quote