View Single Post
Old 2009-09-20, 06:04 PM   #23
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Thanks for the generous offer Dean. I should have called you last night about a possible tow back to Reno but didn't want to impose. The car has been towed to Auto Doc's Complete Car Care in Fernley and they have the keys. The owner seems receptive to my special instructions suggestions so far (hand tools only on the lugs, Napa parts, etc.). I'm nervous but it should be fine. I just hope they can/will do the clean out the existing grease completely/repack with Mobil-1 Red Full Synth. And I hope they do a good job installing and let me know if the hub needs replacing, if it really does, etc. I'll ask them to keep the parts they pull off. That might keep them honest.

I did some research on nabisco and I'm just going to stick with the Subaru bearing since my car is at a shop in Fernley and I don't want to overcomplicate it.

If Cory were doing the work, I'd go that route but I don't want the shop that's doing the work blaming the Nissan part if they do an improper installation resulting in a premature failure of the replacement bearing. It sounds like the right grease and proper installation is far more beneficial than going to the Nissan bearing anyway.

Plus, there's very few people reporting that they've tried this and the few that have haven't exactly had glowing reviews. And has anyone said what cars these fit? It seems to fit the 04 STi but that's all I saw.

At least when I tried Uncle Scotty's Cocktail, I could read through hundreds of positive reviews that typically included the particular application...and that turned out to be a bust anyway. There are some "gurus"/engineer posts that it's a good idea and some that say it's not recommended/necessary.

CN: I'm skipping it this time.

Last edited by cody; 2009-09-20 at 06:10 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote