Old 2002-12-12, 09:50 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
That would be cool. Just gatta know when they are coming up and all. Maybe by then my car will be a little better then stock.

Any suggestions on the wheels? Are Prodrive P-7's alright? I was looking around and those seemed to be pretty good for the price. I want something heavy and strong, since the rim one of my old cars got cracked hitting a curb.
P7's definately fill your "heavy" requirement, but I don't know that they're any stronger than other cast aluminum rims. Remember, the heavier and the larger the rim, the more it effects your acceleration. That's why most people drag on stock rims, they're light and small. I put 18"x7.5" rota Sub-Zero's on my car, and my acceleration's noticeably slower. Plus the ride's a little harsh... but they look DOPE! P7's are in the same boat: they look dope as hell, but the stockers will be faster.

I'm hoping to get a set of Rota Attacks in a 17x7.5 size for autocrossing on. I was racing on the stock rims and tires all last season (since it was my 1st season in the WRX I didn't want to jump right in on R compound tires). The rims are great acceleration-wise, but you really need some R compound race tires with super stiff side walls. Since I'm planning on running STX class, which is a street tire class, I'm gonna need some 17" rims.

Most of the rims made by Rota are high quality, fairly light, and as strong as most OEM rims (since they make a *ton* of OEM rims too). The Attacks, Battles and Sub-Zeros are all pretty sweet and cheap. Like $500 for a set of 4. At that price, if you dent one, getting a replacement's not bank breaking. While if you go with OZ rims, you can end up paying $300 for just one rim. (But OZ rims are fucking _nice_!)