Thread: Autocross Tires
View Single Post
Old 2002-12-12, 01:38 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I don't know how good the all season performance tires really are. I've always figured that snow traction and tarmac traction were pretty much polar opposites, so by going with one tire for both, you're sacrificing on both. Of course, once set of tires will cost less, but for not a lot more you can have two cheaper sets that will perform better at both ends.

I know that the Kuhmo 712s that I have are useless in the cold (not only snow, but when the temp's around freezing they drive like blocks of plastic), my Blizzaks are just about the same as the stock re-92 in the dry, but they OWN the snow and ice. Both sets of tires cost a total of about $1000. You can prolly pick up some decent high performance all season tires for like what $800? So that extra $200 gives me superior performance in all conditions, as long as I don't mind swapping rims.

Remember tires are the only part of the car that actually contact the road. No matter how good you can drive, or how trick your suspension is, or how much power your engine puts out, it's all gotta go thru the tires!