Thread: Autocross Tires
View Single Post
Old 2002-12-12, 05:57 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I'm not familiar with the ASA's. I'd look at a 7.5" wide rim, since that's the best size for the WRX with a 225 width tire. In autocross, the width of the tire's the most important factor in tire sizing. 16" rims will be okay if you plan to run an autocross tire like the Kuhmo Victoracers, but the'll put you out of the street tire classes (Stock, STX), and into the Street Prep / Modified classes (ESP, ESM).

I'd recommend 17"x7.5" rims with some Kuhmo MX tires for max autocross handling... at least that's my plan. But if you're crunched for cash, and can save big on the 16" ASA's, then that's prolly the way to go. The sidewall flex difference between 16" and 17" is pretty minor, and 16's will accelerate a touch faster. So a light, 7" wide, 16" rim is actually a good bargain.

Make sure when looking at rims for Subaru, you're getting the proper offset. In a 7.5" wide rime the offset should be around 48mm, on a 6.5" wide rim (like the stockers) it sould be around 52mm (I think that's the stocker's offset). If you go too far outside these ranges, then you might have rubbing issues, or you might wear out yer wheel bearings prematurely.