Old 2014-08-22, 03:53 PM   #2445
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Moving sucks. Moving to another state super sucks.
Good Luck Scott!
Thanks.

Like I said, shit's hectic... the trailer hitch for Lisa's RDX got delayed during shipping. Ordered it Amazon Prime to be here on Wednesday (back when we were expecting to leave next Wed instead of this Sun). Delay meant it showed up today... with no mounting hardware. They didn't even box it, just taped the back of bolts to the bar, and sure enough it fell off.

Lisa lost it and called Amazon. After her tirade, they refunded it hitch to us fully, gave us an extra month of Prime for free for the delay, and we don't have to ship it back. They told her "we'll give you a one time exemption on returning the item" and she was like "hell no you're not giving us a 'one-time exemption', if you screw me again like this I expect you to make it right then too"... and they agreed.

So anyway, I dug through my giant bin of Subaru bolts and found 4 high-grade M12 bolts that matched the threading in the RDX and installed the hitch. I had to use mixed metals for the washers, lock-washers, and bolts, but I think everything is good to go. At least I was able to torque things down to the required 114 ft-lbs.

Towing a trailer in what's essentially a lifted Honda Accord is a weird feeling... I'm used to towing 4000 lbs behind my truck. A tow rating of only 1500 lbs is a little sketchy... but I hear it's to keep the gearbox from grenading, not because the car can't control/stop the weight of a trailer.