Thread: This Anybody?
View Single Post
Old 2005-12-11, 05:24 PM   #12
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Explain to me how racing on the street saves on tires/pads/etc? You're still flogging the car, no?

Also explain to me how hitting up the local strip is hard on brakes to begin with... if a car can stop from 300mph at the strip in the alloted run-off, I'm pretty sure you can woah down from 100 or so w/o destroying your brakes.

Hell, if you want to "save" the car, how about not racing in a straight line to begin with... drag racing is by far the most punishment you can put on the expensive parts of a car (engine, transmission) per mile!
Street/Drag Racing...your only going straight...so you dont put as much wear on the tires as you would be going fast and turning/braking.
Brakes, you are going from high speeds to 20mph maybe less on a track...on the street you can usually just coast and/or downshift.
Yes youre still flogging the car..but its not around a bunch of curves..dont get me wrong...i WANT to road race,but you have to get a license and like i said..tires,pads etc.
Street Racing/Draging on track you dont need a thing until i belive sub 13's.
To clarify...i wasnt saying that drag racing at the track is expensive..om saying road racing is. The main reasons i dont go to the track are:
1.Far away, i could understand going to Sparks/Carson City for a DEDICATED drag track...but if its mainly a road course that you have to have a license to use its not really worth it.
2.There isnt really many chances to go..its mainly road course stuff
3.You have to have saftey checks...which i AGREE with, but for the few times i hit 100+..i dont want to add a roll cage/racing seats.

FYI: I prefer road racing to drag racing...like i said i stopped street racing as much as i can. But if i find myslelf on a wide open road with a Mustang/Camaro/Porsche that wants to go and isnt acting like a idiot..ill go..but no faster than 100. I am saving to get a 5.0 Mustang to use as a track car...but its not gonna happen for at least 4-5 years.
DARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote