Old 2006-04-17, 08:34 PM   #148
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I didn't say they should be anywhere near 590whp, just that it was doable with a GT35R. But Scott's figure of 400 CRANK hp seems really low to me when there are street motors making way more than that.
I'm sure the turbo can make a pirate's booty load of power... it's got the flow. The question is how to make that power w/o nitrous/WI/MI, and with enough torque and power band to be useful at road racing, all on the supplied 104 octane.

I didn't know there were people approaching 1000hp on the 2.5L motor, but I do know that those cars would be one step from useless on anything with more turns than a drag track due to the huge late power surge. Hell, on my TD05-20G trying to get smooth exits out of a turn at autocross is an exercise in anticipating the boost and letting off the throttle as the power comes in ('course that's more an issue w/ my suspension than anything else). Nevermind the reliability of a motor like that under road race conditions.

My estimate for the current WCGT car of 400-450 was based on hearing that during the T-Hill 25hr qualifying they had an over-boost situation of like 26 psi where they estimated they were making like 650 hp. Since the WC tune is at much less boost, I figured 450hp would be a pretty realistic number. I doubt they're making much over 350 to 375 at the wheels (at least that's what I would have tuned it for if I was attempting for some semblance or reliability since I don't believe they have spare motors on the hauler at this point) which is still at or under about 500 crank hp, which is still just equalling the *stock* horsepower of the Vettes and Vipers.