Thread: Rifle Team 2009
View Single Post
Old 2009-06-02, 10:07 AM   #24
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Just shot my big match of the year, the NorCal Tactical Bolt Rifle Challenge. I shot in the previous 2 years as well, and this time the competition was really stepped up. They added 10 more slots to the roster (it's semi-invitational), and the total this time was 54 participants. Folks came from all over the west coast and and even a couple from the midwest and back east.

Two days, 180 rounds total, stages from 100 to 1000 yards. Highlights included a mover at 200, 300, and 500yds; 10-shots with holdovers only in 90sec from 150-550yds from an improvised position; weak side 3-position barricade; and 200yd "hostage" cold-bore shot with a 2"x1.5" hit zone.

I could have done better, it could also have been worse. I placed 17th overall, not where I wanted to be, but oh well. I did shoot second relay both days, meaning that I had the mid-day wind and mirage, but so did a few other guys who placed above me. I did shoot old-school with an M40A1, meaning .308Win, fixed internal 5-rd mag, and no bipod --- one of only 2 shooters that I know of who did not use a bipod. A couple of the tough stages I placed very high in, but in the end the 800, 900, and 1000yd lines were where I dropped the most points. Back to practice I guess.

Good news is, I beat 3 active-duty USMC snipers, a Secret-Service shooter, and plenty of locals who know that range well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group_1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	5555