Old 2011-01-07, 09:39 AM   #15
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraluke View Post
I original tried to bring my car into a couple of quality welding shops. Nobody wanted to see me unless I took the header off the car and hence, need the measurements.

My APS header is a V2. My V1 weld's cracked and they replaced it. My V2's weld's cracked, they told me I was no longer under warrenty. V3's cracked as well and V4 got rid of the flex sections completely and had no more problems (that I know of). It's all moot anyways because APS doesn't import to the USA anymore anyways or seem to make parts for Subaru's anymore either.
On an aside... virtually all aftermarket headers fail eventually on a car that's run hard. I remember talking to Mike Warfield at GST about their L time attack car... at the time they had just switched back to stock headers because it was the only thing that could stand up to the punishment.

I ended up doing the same thing. I sold my Gruppe-S headers and went back to stock, though I did it because the Gruppe-S headers wouldn't clear the Cosworth oil pan I got. But in the long run, I think the OEM headers are the most reliable, even with that flex joint that will eventually fail. Grimmspeed does porting/polishing/coating of stock headers that seem to be the best of both worlds: aftermarket performance, stock reliability. I should have a set as soon as Kspeed gets back to me on a price.