View Single Post
Old 2006-01-05, 02:53 PM   #7
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
It was not my intent to diminish your accomplishment Mike.
Not at all, in fact I agree with the people saying that it isn't about driver skill ... I know there is no way I am a better driver than most of the old timers there. The only thing I am disagreeing with is whether or not it should be about driver skill.

How can I put this?

People forget (or don't realise in the first place) that being successful at autocross is not about having the most driver skill. It is about getting the right combination of 3 factors: driver skill, car type and car modifications. The person with the best combination wins. Hell Dean, when you drove my car you proved that. You beat me like I owed you money, yet with me in my car and you in your car I beat you in raw and pax time at just about every event. And Lucas jumping into Matt's car was the same thing.

Everyone (i.e. Jim Gandy) wants to change the pax factors so that autocross will be about driver skill (in their/his mind "about driver skill again"). But changing the pax factors will NEVER make it about driver skill, it will just change what blend of those 3 factors are required to win.

The people at the meeting who are saying that the pax system is unfair because it didn't allow the best driver to win are correct ... and they are also completely missing the point. The ONLY possible way to have a driver skill only competition is to have one car that we all take turns driving. Even in formula 1 you need the correct combination of all 3 factors to win.

So we change the pax factors, and instead of an Sti in ESP being the cheater pax car, it will be some other car in some other class. How is this any different from 2005? (Unless it is Jim Gandy's car I mean)
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote