View Single Post
Old 2009-06-09, 10:15 AM   #2335
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Wrong thread, but speaking of getting pulled over...

I did something stupid the other day. I got sick of a truck sitting in the left lane on I80 with nobody beside him, so I squirted around him. Just as I got in front of him a motorcycle cop clocked me at 90 (in a 65) and pulled me over. He wrote me a ticket for <10 over. Why? Dunno for sure, but I didn't get mad at him, I didn't try to bullshit him with various excuses that he's heard 1000 times before (example: "I was doing 80 to merge with the flow of traffic"), really didn't say anything except answer his few questions. When he handed me the ticket he says, "I wrote you for 1-10 over. It looked like you were just passing that truck and I know these cars are pretty quick. I also put off your court date until September. Sign here..."

Not bragging in any way whatsoever, but I have gotten a lot of tickets in my life - 25+ would be my guess including a 108/55 for which he just wrote a $100 ticket and let me go. Lots and lots of times pulled over and let go too. My advise:
- Pull over somewhere where it is relatively safe for the cop if possible. Take the exit (like I did and pull off there for example) or pull into a parking lot.
- If it is night turn your dome light on so he can see you and know you are not a risk.
- Keep you hands on the wheel where he can see them (especially at night). Don't go fishing for you wallet and registration until he has asked you. Here again he is in control and can watch you and know you are not a risk. Seriously, these guys never know who they are gonna pull over.
- Be polite and respectful. No need to kiss ass, just be respectful. If you are younger than him that call him "sir" (in moderation - no ass kissing).
- Don't talk except to answer his questions.
- If he asks you, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" and it is obvious why, then fess up, but don't bullshit. Showing some remorse is prolly a good idea. If you really honestly don't know why then just say "no I don't" or if you are younger than him "no sir, I don't".
- Do not bullshit an excuse. He has heard it all before. If you have a real and unique reason then maybe mention it, but usually you are better off keeping your mouth shut unless he asks you directly for a reason, and even then be careful.
- Be mildly remorseful. One time I said, "I know, this is my neighborhood too and I don't like when people speed down my street", and I'm sure that got me off with a warning.
- If you really legitimately feel like he is mistaken and you are wrongly getting pulled over or wrongly getting a ticket, then you *maybe* can mention and *discuss* this with him, but do not get into an heated argument. His mind is probably made up, and if you piss him off he will start checking under you car for catalytic converters, looking for tailights out, missing front license plates, maybe he might see something that would cause him to search you car, or worse. Take it up with the Assistant DA on or before you court date, and plead your case to the judge if you think it is worth it. It probably isn't worth it though.
- Show up for your court date if you can. Very often you can get the ticket reduced. They have a procedure for this and the ADA have little offices right outside the courtroom. They will ask you if you are more worried about the fine or the points (for insurance reasons).

And seriously, if you are at or leaving a club event then be careful or take it easy. Nobody wants to bring heat down on the clubs or meets.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote