View Single Post
Old 2008-01-17, 11:11 PM   #16
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Buy used? No taxes on used cars. In fact, no taxes on used anything! Once the gov't gets their cut, they're not allowed to double dip. (The only exception would be on property taxes that get assessed annually.)

Plus, since many cars are "staple" items, they wouldn't be taxed anyway. Anything that qualifies as basic transportation (which is what people that are pinching pennies would likely buy anyway) would be categorized as a "staple" and therefore would be un-taxed. But if you want a sports car or luxury car or something "baller", well you're paying 20% tax... you gotta pay to play after all!
The used idea is one I had a while back as well.

This really only leaves you with 2 "new" categories.

The existing tax free food items and everything else. there is no real reason to define general and luxury categories IMHO.

You want a "new" something other than food staples, you pay 25% tax.

That should greatly reduce waste and promote second hand stores and the repair of used items rather than disposal.

And you do pay tax on new homes/construction/remodeling as the materials and labor that made them have never been taxed. Essentially everything except reasonable sustenance gets taxed exactly once when it reaches the first end consumer whether the consumer is a person or corporation.

Last edited by Dean; 2008-01-17 at 11:14 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote